Thread: Ketron sd40?

Ketron sd40?

Having recently acquired a Hammond xe200, my thoughts are to add an expander. Originally I had intended to have the BK7M but came across a thread on the Ketron SD40. Ok, Ketron 3 times the price I'm aware of and ok with that providing it does the job.
    World's apart I know but, my old Yamaha avs/cvs were simplicity to use and essentially, that's what I'm looking for. I have not the time or interest to be tied up with programming and the like. I learnt a lesson from buying a Zoom 223 rhythm unit a while back which was quickly dispatched to my loft due to being as far as can be from plug and play. The Roland I've heard good reports on but also that it is dated and much depends on dialling up via the wheel. The Ketron has a touch screen which is an improvement for sure. So, looking at something that is easy to use, adds more rhythm and voices which would be more suited? Any thoughts or experience appreciated please.

If ease of setup is your main aim, go with the Roland BK7m as it is one of the easiest I have come across, whether you have organ, keyboard or piano etc. (The sounds are also still pretty good as a lot of the sounds and styles are also in the atelier range of organs)

If you are prepared to put the work in the SD40 is a cracking module, but may be overkill for your needs

Have fun whichever you choose.

Bill

Thanks Bill. There does appear to be many users of the Roland on YouTube for example and sounds are good. I thought the Roland would be the less user friendly due to having to dial up via the wheel, or so I read elsewhere. Essentially, having something that would change registrations as I change the presets on the xe200 would be ideal. I guess it would do that.

It will depend on whether your xe200 sends out the program change codes to tell the Roland to change sounds/pre-sets.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm wading through manual at present and believe it does. To check I intend to hook up an AVS 10 to confirm.

I have opted for the BK 7M and it should be delivered later this week. Listening to YouTube videos, it does what I want it to do and some include it with an XE200 and works well. Just need to make a custom stand as the "coat hanger" music rack is not good.

Now have the BK 7M. Looks like new and complete with quality leads which is a bonus. Come the weekend hopefully some time to set up and hear what it can do. Noticed there is a usb available BK LB01. Anyone have knowledge of this. Question, does it download and play only when inserted and then when unplugged reverts to factory settings? Would not want to lose standard settings so would I need to download these first to a memory stick? Is the KB LB01 worth having?Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by beaufighter View Post
    Now have the BK 7M. Looks like new and complete with quality leads which is a bonus. Come the weekend hopefully some time to set up and hear what it can do. Noticed there is a usb available BK LB01. Anyone have knowledge of this. Question, does it download and play only when inserted and then when unplugged reverts to factory settings? Would not want to lose standard settings so would I need to download these first to a memory stick? Is the KB LB01 worth having?Thanks in advance.
    This may be of interest

Thanks abacus very informative.