Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber cloth and treadle tape

Rubber cloth and treadle tape

Would someone please recommend the rubber cloth and treadle tape I need for my 1874 George Woods? Single manual, no pedals, two full sets of reeds.

Also, where to get them?

If you look at page 44 here, Arndt offers material for "high pressure shutters", for "trap actions", for "xylo and glock", Clear Perflex, and Blue Polylon. I have no idea what those are, and they don't reference small reed organs.

http://arndtorgansupply.com/pdfs/CatalogPages.pdf

The suppliers I've contacted (Johnson, Arndt, Organ Supply, etc.) all have several rubber cloths and tapes available. As my original materials were dried up, cracked, and split, I don't know what they were like. Just guessing at all this is very frustrating. The advice of someone who's actually done this would be very helpful.

Thanks.
    Tom M.

Hi Tom!

I get my rubberized cloth from the Netherlands. It is expensive, especially for us down here with an exchange rate of about R15 = $1. There must be local suppliers in the US where you can get it faster and less expensive. Casey might care to advise on this. Same goes for the treadle strap material. I have used a piece of automobile safety belt (seat belt) which is cheap or free, the right width and very strong. It has no stretch and works well but here again, the true puritans might frown upon an act so close to commiting an act of crime in not using authentic materials.....

Happy pumping!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Thanks Nico. I agree - I definitely need rubber cloth and treadle tape.

Just which cloth and tape remain unknown.

Tom M.

1 members found this post helpful.
    The spec for rubber cloth is as follows: thickness .020" - .026" single-sided black rubber over cotton cloth, dusted finish. (the rubber has a gray appearance)

Quote Originally Posted by Organfella View Post
    Same goes for the treadle strap material. I have used a piece of automobile safety belt (seat belt) which is cheap or free, the right width and very strong. It has no stretch and works well but here again, the true puritans might frown upon an act so close to commiting an act of crime in not using authentic materials.....
    For treadle straps, I've used woven canvas strap I found at Joanne's fabric. You might even find some strapping at Hobby Lobby. It does not stretch. I, also will defer to Casey when it comes to the actual material that is proper to use, but that canvas could be used temporarily. The most important thing is that there is no stretch to it.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

I just bought 100ft of 2" cotton webbing on ebay a few months ago for $20. It has blue lines down the edges however. I went back to try to find the seller with no luck. Currently the only ebay sellers of natural color cotton 2" (50mm) webbing are in India or the UK.
    Casey

Casey - would you consider selling me two yards of that 2" material?

Tom M.

Tom, another thought is to try a piece of the tape they use to secure truck loads, sometimes called luggage straps. A used piece may be more flexible and perhaps worn a little thinner. That tape may be a little thicker but very strong and no stretch. Even if just temporary until you can secure the correct tape. The rubberized cloth you have to get the real stuff, do not compromise here as the bellows is the heart of the organ (lungs?).

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Nelson Pease in Palmer MA had the .020 bellows cloth and 2" cotton straps the last time I was there at his store. Otherwise, Schaff Piano Supply will have the straps and thicker bellows cloth.
    To play a reed organ or harmonium, it helps to disconnect your feet from your brain and connect them to your emotions.
    Most of all, be creative, make music and have fun...

Thanks for all the details.

I also need to replace the leather seal strips that go between bellows board edges and cavity board.

Could someone please advise what type of leather, what thickness, and what source?

Thanks.
    Tom M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast