Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: George Wood - after removing the stop rail

Thanks again gents. I'll keep this thread going.

So I take it that removing *all* the reeds (and keeping them in order) is the way to go? Clean the reeds, and clean all around the "reed bed" on the foundation?

Yes. A brush and vacuum should spruce up the felt (or whatever that gray material is) under the reed heels. A full rehab will need to include wet-cleaning the reeds. I can't stress enough how important it is to keep them in order and not mingle the sets. A lot of people have been using ultrasonic baths for reeds with great results. I use a bit of cleaner and a toothbrush to scrub them. You may scrub sideways across the rivet end, but always brush away from the tip at the free end.
    Us a light to look inside the reed cells for debris and insect cocoons.
    Casey

The reservoir is *out*!

I leaned the organ backward a bit so I could reach up underneath and remove the screws holding the treadle straps.

Then neighbor and I lifted up the reservoir, set it on a stand to inspect how it's made, then decided to invert it so I could access the reservoir itself.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

Lots of cracks, but that "white point" isn't a tear, it's just where the material flexes.

IMG_0276.jpg

Looks like lots of leather and rubber fabric needs replacing.

IMG_0277.jpg

Please comment on what else you notice, so I can order parts and materials.

Thanks!
    Tom M.

Expand one of the feeders (the pumping bellows) open and show what the side of it looks like.
    The reservoir rubber cloth is very crunchy looking.
    Casey

Casey - both feeders look similar. The gap goes pretty much from top to bottom.

IMG_0279.jpg

Hide glue should arrive Friday or Saturday. But I don't know what materials to order for the repairs.

You need some leather to rebuild the pumpers.

Nice going. The cloth on the bellows and feeders is really kaput. Since you have committed to go the whole hog might as well do everything. That is a nice looking cabinet and certainly worth doing up well.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Gentlemen - can you point me to details on how to remove the bellows/feeders?

I've removed six long wood screws that run down from the bellows board into the top of the bellows. But the bellows is still tight on the board. Here's the junction, the thin light brown "seal" which runs along all four edges of the bellows/bellows board.

IMG_0281.jpg

Is that seal wood? or glue? or leather? and how to disconnect bellows from board?

thanks.
    Tom M.

It's glued. Separating it requires a very light touch with a sledgehammer.
    Two things will loosen the glue, heat and water. But they are indiscriminate; every other glued joint in the vicinity may be loosened too.
    If the joint has been poorly made, it could pop right apart with a chisel or small prybar from one or both ends. More often than not, the wood splits.
    You can saw the glue line with a Japanese-style pull-saw.
    Once the two parts are separated, and the wood is irreparably damaged, it's best to have the woodworking skills to replace a section of the lower foundation, and/or the top part of the reservoir wood.

As Casey says - "Irreparably damaged". Yep, that's the description. Disaster.

IMG_0287.jpg

After using three different woodsaws, including a "kerf saw", none of which would cut into the glue joint, I tried hot water - dripping it along the joint once every ten minutes for several hours. Saws still didn't cut into the joint, so I tried a steel chisel, tapping it gradually deeper into the joint after every hot water application. As I didn't know how thick that wood is, or what was "inside", I guesstimated a one inch depth, and tapped the chisel in about 1.5" total, going about 1/8" at a time. After cutting through the three outward facing sides, I began prying upwards with the chisel.

Crack. The bellows board (lower layer) split in two places.

IMG_0286.jpg

Now figuring I'd ruined the whole unit, I completed chiseling, then lifting slowly with a small flat end pry bar, all around those three edges, until the bellows unit seemed free.

Lifted it up and found I'd completely wrecked the (1) top of the bellows,

IMG_0282.jpg

and (2) the bottom of the bellows board where the union is.

IMG_0283.jpg

Chips and chunks pulled loose all over those two surfaces. I'm no carpenter; maybe I can just glue it all back together after repairing the bellows unit? Before I completely give up in despair, I'd appreciate some advice, and reassuring words of condolence.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast