Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: George Wood - after removing the stop rail

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegct View Post
    Keyboard is out! Had to disconnect a few assorted levers and extra supports, but nothing fell to the floor or exploded and flew across the room.
    I DO hope you are taking a lot of detail pictures for documentation, including writing in a notebook what each picture entails. All those crazy linkages you're seeing are specific to the organ manufacturer and may wrap around and under each other. There won't be much help here putting it back together if you have tangled piles of parts.

I use small freezer bags to put little parts in, like a row of screws. Then magic marker the contents on the bag.

"Swell" can refer to the right-hand lever and the associated mechanism, including the long covers over the reeds and the linkages that make it work. It can also link in to "forte" stops on the stop board.
    -- I'm Lamar - 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- Roland RD300nx stage piano - 1899 Kimball reed organ (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Removed four screws and lifted the "swell" system. Note that the rear-facing flap wasn't connected to the system; the hinge tape had ripped.

IMG_0251.jpg

Here's what was under the swell system. I have no idea what I'm looking at.

IMG_0252.jpg

There are four spring-actuated flaps, two in front, two in rear. Lifting the flaps I think I see the brass reeds. Also, I don't know the purpose of those rectangular "flaps" at the treble end.

IMG_0253.jpg

According to Tyler, after removing the swell, I should see the "foundation". But he doesn't mention all those reeds that I see there now.

Tom M.

Tuesday morning - I figured out how to remove the foundation. At least, I hope it's called the foundation.

I removed the four large, recessed wood screws at the sides of the thick wooden block/table which contains the reeds and sits inside the cabinet.

IMG_0254.jpg

When I lift that block, the big bellows/reservoir lifts up too. Looks like it's all one unit.

IMG_0255.jpg

The two wooden action supports at each side of the foundation are glued on, so they're staying in place. When I pull up that big foundation and reservoir, can I lay it on its back?

Before removing the foundation/bellows, I need to remove the two springs (seems easy enough to do). But I don't know how to handle those wooden arms just behind the springs. Do they remain attached to the foundation/bellows while removing it?

IMG_0256.jpg

The left treadle still has its tape attached to the bellows. With the bellows in place, how do I disconnect the tape to allow removal of the bellows? (The right treadle tape was off the bellows when I got the instrument.) There's no space to stretch my arm up to the top where the tape is attached - unless the bellows has been removed.

IMG_0257.jpg

Thanks.
    Tom M.
    PS - sure seems it would have been beneficial to make the lower front panel removable from the front!

Great job! You are down to the foundation, that is correct. It is screwed down to the bellows board (the bottom of the windchest; the foundation board is the top half of the windchest) with up to two dozen screws, some may be accessed from beneath. The upper action/foundation will then lift out. You will then see clearly how the reservoir is attached to the lower windchest board, and how that component itself attaches to the case.

Those little rectangles at the treble ends of the "mutes" (the spring-mounted strips covering the reeds) should be left alone if possible. (if it ain't broke...) they are a very delicate and precarious system for making sure the tiny reeds stay silent when they are supposed to be silent. A tiny felt-tipped dowel is lowered to touch the reeds when the stop if off. There is nothing to be gained by disturbing them at this point. It is likely down the road that you will need to replace the soft leather facing on these mutes so that the stops turn off when closed. At that point we'll figure out how to safely get these devices out of your way.

OK - thank you!

So I need to remove all those screws and the foundation board, before I lift up the bellows board and bellows?

OK - thank you!

So I need to remove all those screws and the foundation board, before I lift up the bellows board and bellows?
    Every layer you take out reveals the next set of screws, but you're just about to the end.
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by SubBase View Post
    Every layer you take out reveals the next set of screws, but you're just about to the end.
    Casey
    Thanks Casey. You're right - there's not much left to remove!

All the reeds are in that foundation board. The "reed holders" are glued in - not screwed.

IMG_0261.jpg

Even after removing the foundation board, the reeds are still covered and inaccessible, other than by prying up the damper (?) bars that cover them.

How to I access (or remove) the reeds to clean them?

The foundation is *out*! I removed the 16 screws around the edge, and the six large inset screws, then carefully lifted out the foundation about an inch then slid it toward the rear. Nothing so far has crumbled or fallen apart.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

To me it's amazing how "clean and new" the underside of the foundation looks.

IMG_0265.jpg

Tomorrow my neighbor will help me lift the bellows assembly out. I'll probably start a new thread on the reservoir restoration and reed cleaning, unless it's better to stay with this thread.

Thanks.
    Tom M.
    Last edited by nutmegct; 08-29-2018 at 06:26 PM.

I would keep this thread going.
    You need a reed puller to gently withdraw the reeds from the reed cells, being absolutely careful to not mix them up. I put them on separate small trays, whatever reeds are under a particular mute (what you called a damper) constitute a set.
    And I notice there is a new topic about reed pullers.
    Casey

Tom,

This thread is great! You're the first person to pictorially demonstrate the entire process of disassembly I recall seeing on the Forum. THANK YOU!!!
    How to I access (or remove) the reeds to clean them?
    If you have a reed puller, gently lift the damper/mute board just enough to access the reeds. The hook at the end of the reed puller will fit nicely into the void at the end of each reed, and you can pull/slide them directly outward. If you do not have a reed puller, I've heard of people using a crochet hook, but I can't vouch for that method because I've never personally tried it.

I'll probably start a new thread on the reservoir restoration and reed cleaning, unless it's better to stay with this thread.
    Tom,

Ultimately it's your choice, but if at all possible, please do not start a new thread. If this thread continues in the direction you've started it, I can see it being made a sticky thread for anyone else to refer to when repairing their own organ. Feel free to keep adding to this thread. I can change the title of the thread to reflect the entire content of the thread when you get to the end.

You're doing great work so far. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast