Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Wood - after removing the stop rail

George Wood - after removing the stop rail

In Tyler's guide to restoration on ROS, he writes:

You want next to take out the "upper action" in its entirety. This is the shallow box on which everything you have exposed sits. There are usually long screws along the back and sides; the ones in front may be driven from the top, or up from below, and the ones along the sides are often difficult to find and reach. Once all the screws are found, removed and labeled, lift the upper action up (there are usually small locating pins somewhere) until it's completely free, and carefully extract it from the case (some actions must go out the back of the case, some only out the front, and only you can determine which yours requires!) Once the action is free and out of the case, set it aside, once again being careful not to damage the parts underneath. (Prop it up on chunks of wood if there are too many things protruding below).

What is the "upper action"? After removing the stop rail and attaching arms, I see the full keyboard. Only other things are those boxes at the rear of the instrument. What should be my next step?

IMG_0243[1].jpg

Thanks all.
    Tom M.

remove the keyboard frame, sub bass chest, solo chest; the upper action is what the sub bass,etc., screws into. There will be screws every 6" or so around the perimeter, usually round-headed.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegct View Post
    What is the "upper action"? After removing the stop rail and attaching arms, I see the full keyboard. Only other things are those boxes at the rear of the instrument. What should be my next step?
    Tom,

Unless I miss my guess, at least one of those boxes at the rear are the sub bass reeds. You'll find holes under them for the wind supply. The action generally refers to the keyboard and its frame.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Thanks gents. I've removed the two boxes, tho' I don't know what they're called -

IMG_0248[1].jpg

Here's the uncovered space:

IMG_0247[1].jpg

I looked at the bottom of each box, and was surprised how clean and "new" each looked. The red felt look perfect. There's an air passage on the right side also.

When you say remove the keyboard frame, do I just remove the screws holding the four vertical brackets? (three in front of keyboard, one behind.) Here's the one under the top C:

IMG_0245[1].jpg

And then the keyboard will just lift out?

This is all new to me, so my natural paranoia of not knowing what to watch out for makes me take it slow and steady.

Thanks.

When you finally get to removing the wind chest (That is the shallow upper part above the bellows) You will need to replace the seal that is on the underside right around the perimeter. This seal prevents air leaking out when the organ is playing. Replace this seal - do not try to bypass this step - if you don't, you will have to do the entire job all over again - I have tried and had to do this. Soft leather strips about 1/16" thick and about 7/8" wide will do the trick. If the bellows cloth is torn, brittle or cracked, the only way is to replace the entire bellows cloth - and while you are about it, do the feeders as well.

It is also easier to get at the reeds and all other action components while the parts are out of the cabinet. Just be sure to mark each part in such a way that you replace it in its original position - even the screws!

Nice going, and by the way, you need not start a new thread for each conversation, just continue from where you left off. Post pictures and ask questions, do not be afraid that you will be critisized or whatever. I have asked many questioned that I considered to be dumb ones, and maybe they were, but that is the way I learned from the friendly and helpful gurus on this Forum family.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Nico - thanks for the words of wisdom. Have to admit learning the terminology is a challenge. Wind chest? Reservoir? Exhauster? Keyboard frame? Wish there were a diagram showing all the systems and subsystems, with a label on each!

Say, can you advise me on removing the keyboard? If I remove those four vertical brackets (three on front, one on rear), is that all I need to do to pull/lift that keyboard out?

Thanks.
    Tom M.
    PS - here's the "signature" on the back of the keyboard. "T. Campbell July 27 1874". I have no idea what that long wood screw is for.

T. Campbell July 27 1874.jpg

That signature speaks a thousand words. It could be the original assembly completion date or the date of some kind of service or repair. It was common in those days to sign the work in pencil, sometimes a rubber stamp was added. The screw looks like a stop of some kind.

Send me a PM and I will mail you a file that might help with terminology and more.

Take care

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Thanks Nico. PM sent.
    Tom M.

Keyboard is out! Had to disconnect a few assorted levers and extra supports, but nothing fell to the floor or exploded and flew across the room. (Note that as I remove parts, I put every screw back in place after removal, so they're ready to go when I start to re-assemble.)

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Tyler says that after removing the keyboard, remove the coupler(s). There are none. Then he says to remove the "stickers". Are these the short vertical wooden dowels, one for each note?

After removing the stickers (and keeping them in order), he says to remove the swell action. Is the swell action that knee bar that opens a flap under the keyboard?

Thanks for your guidance and patience!
    Tom M.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegct View Post
    Tyler says that after removing the keyboard, remove the coupler(s). There are none. Then he says to remove the "stickers". Are these the short vertical wooden dowels, one for each note?

After removing the stickers (and keeping them in order), he says to remove the swell action. Is the swell action that knee bar that opens a flap under the keyboard?
    Tom,

Yes, and Yes. Make sure you remember where everything was. A handy trick for keeping the "stickers" in order is to use a long piece of tape (that doesn't leave a residue) and place them on the tape in order and coil it up.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast