Thread: George Woods - on the way!

George Woods - on the way!

ETA Saturday morning.

IMG_4609.jpg

First issues to address: dropped pedal, two keys which don't speak. I'll keep the forum updated. Boy will I keep the forum updated.

What's the first thing you'd do once the organ is in place? Vacuuming/dusting inside and out?

The journey begins. Onward through the fog!
    Tom M.

I start by taking it all apart outside to make sure there are no mouse nests or droppings before I bring it in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegct View Post
    What's the first thing you'd do once the organ is in place? Vacuuming/dusting inside and out?
    Pray real hard! Seriously, congratulations, and it's great to see it go to a good home where it will be taken care of.

I look forward to your updates.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Great going Tom!

After you have carefully done what Casey suggests, and got the beast inside your inner chambers, I would say start with the dropped treadle. The two silent notes are probably just debris inside the innards there - chances are that you may have to clean all of the reed cells, surrounds and the reeds themselves. In this progressive way you can see if there are more serious work to be done to the feeders/bellows. My guess is that you may have to do that, but perhaps later as with working treadles and enough wind, you will get a good idea of the sound the old gal is capable of. That cabinet surely looks very nice, good example of the excellent workmanship of our predecessors.

Do let us know about your progress so that wee too can share your excitement.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Thanks gents.

Once it's here, is there a guide to "opening the George Woods cabinet"? For example, getting to the treadle works, accessing the reed sets, etc.? Does the lower front just fall forward after twisting an obvious knob or two? Can I access the reed sets and various mechanicals by removing a back panel?

I don't want to wreck it in the first 24 hours!

Tom M.
    PS - is there a source for those missing key fronts?

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegct View Post
    Once it's here, is there a guide to "opening the George Woods cabinet"? For example, getting to the treadle works, accessing the reed sets, etc.? Does the lower front just fall forward after twisting an obvious knob or two? Can I access the reed sets and various mechanicals by removing a back panel?

I don't want to wreck it in the first 24 hours!

PS - is there a source for those missing key fronts?
    Tom,

There's very little one can do to hurt those organs–that's why they've lasted so many years!

Dropped treadle–Look just over the pedals, and that panel should come off with screws (straight screwdriver). In looking at your picture again, it may be the entire front just over the pedals comes off. You'll be able to tell when you see it. It may actually come off like the front of an upright piano over the pedals. If a strap is broken, it's a fairly easy fix. If it's a broken spring, well, that's a bit more involved.
    Reed lint–On either side of the keyboard you'll see two similar screws. Remove those, and that provides direct access to the front set of reeds. Once you gently lift the reed door, count down to the reeds that aren't working and use a reed puller to remove the reed to clean it (discussed before in this thread, as well as many others). Just be careful replacing the reed. For the back set (if there is a back set), those can be accessed by removing the back of the organ.
    Missing reed fronts–I have a sneaky feeling if you request replacements in the Forum–better yet, the Classifieds section of the Forum, you'll be able to find replacements with little or no problem. In fact, you may find they have simply slid under the key when you take that front section off.

Best with your new acquisition!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos