Thread: Eldredge - part(s) missing?

Eldredge - part(s) missing?

I'm new to melodeons. One I'm interested in has the music rack simply lying on the key ends.

s-l1600.jpg

Could someone tell me what is missing?

I'm just guessing, but I'd think it's some type of cover (with sound holes?) over those key ends, without a music rack. Maybe like this -

no rack.jpg

If so, I'm hoping it's not a big problem to make a replacement.

Thanks.
    Tom M.
    Eastford CT

Probably right, Tom. Does your's exhaust there, too? (I don't know anything about melodians, except that they look neat.)
    -- I'm Lamar - Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) -- 1967 Allen TC 4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Thanks Lamar. I haven't even decided on what I'm going to buy: melodeon, harmonium, chapel organ, etc.

With a small living room and seven foot ceiling (house built in 1826), I'm somewhere in between "Wanamaker" and "penny whistle"!

Tom M.

If I were starting over (I probably would still found this Kimball), I would look for a chapel organ with lots of stops. M&H would be good because Casey knows them. Estey organs are also popular.

I also stand to inherit a house built in the 40s with 7 foot ceilings if my uncle outlives a couple more brothers. It has a wonderful basement that could give rear access and an open field and trees behind it. I can just imagine blasting music that way.
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) -- 1967 Allen TC 4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Thanks Lamar. Is it ok for me to post a link here in the Pump and Reed Organ section, to a M&H organ I'm interested in? To get opinions from knowledgeable people?

Tom M.

There would have been a board there, with the builders name on it, sometimes hinged at the back so it would tip up for access to the innards, sometimes screwed in or even just resting on strips of wood so it would lift out. If it had a separate music rest, it would have hinged on to this piece.
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegct View Post
    Thanks Lamar. Is it ok for me to post a link here in the Pump and Reed Organ section, to a M&H organ I'm interested in? To get opinions from knowledgeable people?

Tom M.
    Hi, Tom - posting links is fine, but if it's that two manual M&H in Brattlesboro TN, it's gone. I made an offer on it, but despite its problems, it quickly escalated to around $200, and I didn't think that organ was worth it. Casey (SubBase here) later confirmed it, which made me feel better about it.

Since then, events have TURNED. I've become interested in old Allens. Saints preserve us. I still like playing the reed organ. One of their original names translated into "expressive organ."