Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I'm so old I remember when...

Quote Originally Posted by FDelGreco View Post
    I remember when you could get driving directions at the gas station.
    You go down to the corner where the big oak tree used to be, turn right....

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

I remember when station wagons had fake wood siding and how we kids would go straight to the back of those things We once had a 1970 Ford Country Sedan (Galaxie 500) as a rental. The third row faced each other. The Country Squire (LTD) was one of my favorite full si, cars ever.

It never felt right to call my VW TDI Sportwagen a station wagon, it was an estate car.

And the air doohickey told you your tyre pressure automatically. Clunk... Clunk... Clunk... Clunk... Clunk... Clunk... Clunk... Clunk...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy View Post
    I remember when station wagons had fake wood siding and how we kids would go straight to the back of those things We once had a 1970 Ford Country Sedan (Galaxie 500) as a rental. The third row faced each other. The Country Squire (LTD) was one of my favorite full si, cars ever.

It never felt right to call my VW TDI Sportwagen a station wagon, it was an estate car.
    My wagon still has Simulated Woodgrain. I hate it: it contributes to rust. The wagon doesn't have a third row though, so not really a station wagon either. AMC called it a subcompact and originally "Sportabout." As a subcompact, it's considerably larger than modern compacts. I like to squeeze it into those "COMPACT" parking spaces though. I hope someone will air their beef so I can show them the original paperwork for the car, which says "COMPACT."

KC9UDX,

Wow, you are still driving an AMC !? Or is it a collector car now ? From your description, it sounds like you might have a Hornet wagon ? I remember all of those : Hornet, Matador, Gremlin, Pacer, AMX, etc.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrytow View Post
    Wow, you are still driving an AMC !? Or is it a collector car now ? From your description, it sounds like you might have a Hornet wagon ? I remember all of those : Hornet, Matador, Gremlin, Pacer, AMX, etc.
    Larry,

Now, there's no call to be mean. However, I do remember on the '63 Chevy, on which I learned to drive, if you missed the cross between 1st and 2nd gear (more like an "N" instead of an "H"--3 on the tree), you had to pull over and stop, open the hood, take a screwdriver and pry the gears apart and try again!

Frustrating!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

My grandma alswys bought those,. three on the tree, six ,no AC. She just liked them that way.

I always liked the Hornet and regret never owning one. AMC really did something when they came up with the four wheel drive Eagle.

KC9UDX,

Yes. I have five of them currently. Only one is not roadworthy because I intend to do a proper restoration on it before it rots away. Unfortunately, we're going on twenty years since I set it aside for that purpose. The wagon is an Eagle though. I have accumulated a large amount of parts to install on it if I ever get time. But probably I'll have to put it in long term storage like the other so that it doesn't rot out before I get to it. I do drive it around once in a while just to keep it drivable. From 2002 to 2010 it was my daily driver, even driving it over the road for work.

The only cars (really only one) that aren't technically AMCs are Chrysler-built AMCs. I don't own cars of any other make.
    Last edited by KC9UDX; 08-12-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post

The only cars (really only one) that aren't technically AMCs are Chrysler-built AMCs. I don't own cars of any other make.
    Well no, not quite correct. There were the AMC Alliance and Encore models, that were a blend of the AMC and Renault partnership. That was the early 80s I think.

Ya, the Eagle was / is pretty interesting. I believe it was the first American AWD car. Could even be considered the original SUV.

I have nothing against AMC vehicles. They were at times quirky and odd, but that gave them character. They had to be different than the big 3 though, to get peoples attention. Good WI company too.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Well no, not quite correct. There were the AMC Alliance and Encore models, that were a blend of the AMC and Renault partnership. That was the early 80s I think.

Ya, the Eagle was / is pretty interesting. I believe it was the first American AWD car. Could even be considered the original SUV.

I have nothing against AMC vehicles. They were at times quirky and odd, but that gave them character. They had to be different than the big 3 though, to get peoples attention. Good WI company too.
    Not what I meant though. The only vehicles that I currently own which are not genuine AMC were assembled under the Chrysler name. And this really only applies to one. The only thing Chrysler about the other is a total lack of visible AMC logos and a pentagram on the keys.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567