Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I'm so old I remember when...

I came into a classroom that didn't have U.S. Army stenciled on it in third grade, just in time for Georgia's racial integration. (The Army schools already were.) Among the young black and white faces in this rural school was the young white teacher who decided to show a film. It was a Georgia state educational film, and it started with the loud strains of "Dixie."

So I remember when Georgia integrated their schools. It should have happened long, long before, but that happened in my life time.
    -- I'm Lamar - Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) -- 1967 Allen TC 4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Quote Originally Posted by FDelGreco View Post
    One day in history class when we were talking about World War II, I mentioned to the teacher, a male, that my father had a Japanese rifle and Samurai sword that my uncle had brought back from the war. His response was, “Well bring them in so we can show the class!”
    Frank,

Your story reminds me of the time I took my great-great grandfather's (uncle?) Civil War jacket, hat, powder horn, and rifle to my junior high school (before middle schools), complete with bayonet & ram rod. Rode the bus, they were stored on a classroom sideboard until it was time for class.

My how times have changed.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

I may be young, but I'm so old I remember when all mobile phones did were call and text,
    kids played outside when board,
    almost all churches I went to had a spinet electric organ,
    TVs were fat and
    game boys were popular.

Quote Originally Posted by davidecasteel View Post
    As I recall, the same masters could be used with either the gelatin pad or the machine--I'm old, so my memory may be faulty, though.

COBOL is still being taught at a few colleges. It may be "dead" to many, but it's still very useful for business purposes. And it's unparalleled for transparency and ease of maintenance. (The programmers are well-served to be good typists, though....)

David
    Java is better. its the language i was taught in high school. I had to learn C++ because it was required in colage. I dislike C++ because their is no such thing as dyamic arrays and too manny stupid and pointless rules and syntax requirements.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy67716 View Post
    I may be young, but I'm so old I remember when all mobile phones did were call and text,
    Texting ?! All that new fangled silliness ! I think I may be one of the last hold-outs who tell people to Never text me. If the phone is in your hand, well then, just call and talk to me. If you want to"text" me, then write an e-mail.

Of course, some people call me an Old Crotchety *#####* .
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

It wasn't that long ago that cell phones didn't have text messaging. I still have a couple like that in a box somewhere.

Larry, there's probably a way to get your phone to automatically respond to text messages with a "CALL DON'T TEXT" message.

Matt

Matt,

I have never even considered the possibility that one could do an auto-response like that. That might be pretty neat.

Actually though, I have to admit that there are a few ( not a lot in my opinion ) instances when the ability to receive a text message is quite handy. Things like your bank or other websites sending a code you need to type in to verify an account log-in and so on. So, I am being slowly dragged into using the text feature now and then. But me Sending one - never !

Just like you, I have kept a collection of old cell phones in a box. I thought someday they will make an interesting history display in my shop. I only kept one example of each style, but it really does show the progression of the technology. The photo attached shows some of them starting from my first one on the left side. The big radio transceivers that went under the truck seat of those first two are not in the photo though.

I really miss when cell phones had real Handsets like those. You could talk and still shift a 13 speed real well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

I'll tell you it took me a long time to give in to text messaging. What pushed me over the edge is the voice quality of modern phones. I struggled with good old fashioned phones during local calls. This modern stuff is almost illegible to me. I get tired of asking people to repeat themselves, and they get tired of hearing it. I used to have phones with full keyboards. Now that I have a "smartphone", I can use the Google keyboard, called Gboard (available for most phones). I find "glide" typing works very well most of the time.

Those bank texts though are a pain. Sometimes they just don't show up, and other times the computer times out before I get the text.

I remember when you could get driving directions at the gas station.

Frank

You could get free maps and air for the tires at the service station if you filled up, and Anita Bryant would welcome you to Florida with free orange juice for the family.
    -- I'm Lamar - Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) -- 1967 Allen TC 4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast