Thread: Allen 7000 and 301B

Allen 7000 and 301B

Michael(s), John, David & all,
    What are your thoughts on this Allen ADC-7000, 3 manual/draw knob organ currently on Ebay for $5k? Located in Johnson City, TN (near you?) Claims 70 stops, 90 rank equivalent, built 1985'ish. 1) condition "used"-- supposedly fully functional/operational, 2) sounds fair price-- is "digital" (since my 301B built 1977 is digital), 3) will it even fit through a standard width home's front door (like mine!): Length 6'4", Width: 4' 11", Height: 4' 4". Assuming width of 4' 11" must be with pedal board/bench in place. Correct? If so what's width of "console" only? My Allen 301B just barely fit through my front door-- after taking door off hinges.
    What would be a fair asking price for my Allen 301B (pic below) --now that I've invested $1k+ & tons of my/y'all's time to make it "good as new" -- fully functional/operational, e.g. $3,000, $2,500, $2,000?
    Thoughts anyone?

James

Ebay web link:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Digit...itleDesc=0%7C0
    Attached Images Attached Images

This ADC 7000 is in the "C" series console, and without pedals, the depth is 42 inches without pedals. Unless you have a very wide entry door (or double doors) it will be difficult to get it into a house.

In general, the last of the ADC series is better than the earlier ones. The last series had a "3" as the 2nd digit, i.e., ADC-7300. The first ones were "0" in that digit, and the middle were "1". I suspect it wants a very large space for the sound to bloom.

All,
    Bummer-- just informed by Ebay seller that the Allen ADC-7000 will NOT fit through standard width residence door. Ugh!! Will be a great deal for someone, e.g. church, individual (with $ & bigger width residence doors). LOL
    Thanks all!!

James

- - - Updated - - -

"Toodles",

You're correct (unfortunately)-- as confirmed by Ebay seller.
    Thanks!!

James

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you're right-- like in a nice big church. Ugh!! Was nice thinking/dreaming about it for awhile at least. LOL

James

It would seem that the EBay add is from R A Colby which is indeed in Johnson City, TN. However, when one reads the description it has all the finger prints of a certain Ebay seller in Florida. Some statements are identical. "Not a handy man special" "recently inspected by an MITA affiliated technician" Not saying it is one in the same, I was thinking Colby bought it from Florida then no longer had use for whatever they had planned. Would make a real nice MIDI console. My question is this, the drawknobs appear to be gray and I have noticed this on a couple three manual Allens, and I wonder if they were supposed to be that way or are they bleached out? The color doesn't appear perfectly even, and nothing like the knobs on my 5000.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

This listing has been discussed in a longer thread about used organs. As I noted there, the same photos were used when this was originally listed in February by another ebay seller and the lighting is rather poor so I'm not sure I'd give a lot of weight to the colors.

The previous discussion begins on page 9 and continues on subsequent pages.

https://www.organforum.com/forums/sh...r-takers/page9
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

mp Mezzo-Piano Pipeorganbuilder's Avatar
    It is owned by Roger Colby. He bought it to use while building a very large pipe organ. Now that the pipe instrument is ready to install, he is trying to sell the Allen. Roger sent me a photo of the name plate and it is ADC 7000 DK serial #48794. His son is the one that listed it for him and more than likely Brad just copied what Warren Apple uses for his write up. This is a really nice organ if someone needs one this large.

Michael

IF only I had the room....
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    IF only I had the room....
    John,

I'm building the room (it's BIG!!! 32'x24'), but still waiting delivery of my ADC-8000DKC from Phoenix! At least garage walls are up--just waiting on trusses now.

I wish this 7000 had come along sooner, but I've already taken the plunge on the 8000. Hope to use it this fall for a concert that requires 2 organs--we'll see.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

ADC organs are indeed better sounding than the MOS organs, but just how much better is a matter of opinion I suppose. I currently have an ADC 6000D, in my music ( living ? ) room, and I love it. Once you have a nice three manual at home, you will get spoiled, and playing smaller ones in churches will be not as fun, but so it goes.

This one is a beautiful console, and if RA Colby is the seller, I can see where the condition disclaimer in the description comes from; they build some of the finest consoles in the biz.

But then again, if it is an organ person selling it, the description and the stoplist do not match up - kinda silly to let someone copy the text from a different ad if you know organs. Description says it has four 32' stops; stoplist has 3.

I think the price is a bit high in today's used organ market, but a seller will always shoot high. You can always come down for a serious buyer.

I sold a reconditioned 301B like yours in 2012, and got 2200.00 for it. That was with the buyer picking it up at my shop, so I did no delivery or installation work. It was a first class restoration, and I added reverb and a third amp and speaker for the bass channel. The market has changed considerably since then, but Allen digitals always sell, in this part of the country anyhow.

The whole " this organ will not fit though my door " thing kinda baffles me to tell the truth. If you want a particular organ in your home, you do what you need to do to make it happen. You can call me crazy I guess, but in several instances I have cut doorway openings to make one fit. And one time I even made an entire section of the exterior wall to be a giant hinged organ door. The Sawzall is your friend !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.