Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Allen 7000 and 301B

James,

So today I am working in my shop ( and it is small too ), and your space issue came to mind. If you have a closet near the room the organ will be going into, you could consider putting the amps in there. Might have to rebuild / modify / make an amp rack to fit said closet, but that would keep them out of the room itself. And away from the daycare kids, which might be nice - no disconnected wires, etc.

Larry ( AllenAnalog ), LOL - I don't feel so strange about doing that now !
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 ! ), E-5AR ( X 2, 1 parts, 1 not ), D80 ( parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( parts ), EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

mp Mezzo-Piano Pipeorganbuilder's Avatar
    James,

What do you have above the ceiling in that room? Not the best place for speakers, but if it is attic space, you could put grill in your ceiling and let the speakers speak down. You would then need to insulate the heck out of the speakers to keep the summer heat away from them. Many home pipe organs were installed with the pipes in the attic and spoke down thru grill work. Certainly not the best method but one that might make it possible to have your cake and it too. Lol

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by James P View Post
    Larry, I think you’re right about my “future”, trying to fit 9 speakers & amps w/console in 17’x 25’ Room. Ugh!!
    James,

While I don't know what you already have in that room, it sounds like my parents' living room (18'x28'). In that room, which doubled as a dining room, the piano and desk were at one end, the dining room table and a buffet at the other end, and the living area in the center. If you stack the speakers on their sides as already recommended, they'll fit neatly in three 1.5'x3' stacks--that's not much of a footprint. Total floorspace used--4.5'x3' (13.5 sq. ft.) from a 425 sq.ft. room. I'd be happy with that! The organ only takes 5.5'x6' (33 sq.ft.). Not much to sacrifice IMHO.

I hope that gives a bit more perspective.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Larry, Michael, John, & all,
    Well..... it’s gonna happen after all!!
    I just sold my Allen 301B to my brother’s church here near Bryan/College Station (Snook).
    Longtime organist came by yesterday to see/play it. Said she’s “sold on it” & it’s not “intimidating” to her after all. She likes all my settings & doesn’t want me to change them, e g various soft preludeffertory, to soft prayerful/loud/louder/loudest settings.
    Selling it to them at my repair costs getting it 100% functional (like new) condition—$1,000. And I’ll “install” it for another $500 (my time), as I did in my Living Room. Get friend/retired home builder to physically transport it to Snook on 20 miles away.
    Question;
    Should I install the Main Spkr (33” x 33”) on left side of front chancel above—as on sits in pews facing front, w/other 2 Spkrs (18” x 33”) Flutes & Pedal Bass Boost. Or reverse setup?
    Then.... I am keeping the Allen ADC-7000 3-manual after all. Yea!!! Offered it to our denomination’s largest church since I knew they have a very old 2-manual organ. Pastor & Elder were all for it— but there 2 longtime organists felt it was “too big for the church”. Truth is they were “intimidated” by the organ—my guess anyway!
    So...Russell L. (organ transporter) picked up my ADC-7000 Thursday & is visiting church w/me this morning. Will come to my house afterwards to checkout/size up all to move console/spkrs in tomorrow. Will be removing my 18” side panel by door to make opening 52”+ (console 42”W).
    Amp rack will go in front entry way coat closet. And planning to stack 3 spkrs high (33” H) on each side of console. (99” H)— have 9’ H ceiling. And other 2 speakers opposite side of room (17’ x 25’)—1 spkr on each side of credenza below wall mounted big screen TV. Again on end—33” H.
    Thoughts??? Will this work? If so, which 3 spkrs below TV— Great, Trumpet Encamade? Stacking layers of Spkrs on each side of console?
    Gotta go—time to get ready for church!!
    Blessings all!

James

Good news on both fronts. I don't have any advice on the 301B speaker setup - I think you will need to try it out to find the best arrangement in that room.

For your home, I would still be inclined to put the choir, great and swell speakers (6) flanking the organ and the pedal speakers (3) by your TV. You might even find that facing the six speakers towards the wall behind the organ, spaced a couple of feet away, rather than speaking directly into your face creates a better blend and more pleasant sound.

Did the organ come with the standard 4-shelf amp rack or the optional 6-shelf rack (with all S-100 amplifiers)? Does it have the optional Brass Choir?

There should be a cage chart inside the organ which shows the distribution of voices between the 9 amplifier channels. If you did not get one (or the layout chart for the amp rack) let us know and one of us with that information can send it to you via email. You may have antiphonal relays on the top shelf of the amp rack but you won't need to keep those in the speaker circuits with your installation.

Since these instruments could be customized, it would be nice to see photos of the drawknobs and tilting tablets to see how your instrument compares to the stock model.
    Last edited by AllenAnalog; 08-05-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

James,

Congratulations on the acquisition and keeping the ADC-7000 in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by James P View Post
    Question;
    Should I install the Main Spkr (33” x 33”) on left side of front chancel above—as on sits in pews facing front, w/other 2 Spkrs (18” x 33”) Flutes & Pedal Bass Boost. Or reverse setup?
    I would say the answer lies on where the organist sits. I would put the channel with the pedals opposite the organist (if the organist is to one side). Better yet, have all the speakers in one location--if possible.

If you do a search of Forum posts on the topic: "speaker placement", you'll find several threads with concrete suggestions, as well as detailed discussions of the factors which go into speaker placement decisions (i.e. height from the floor, separate sides vs. same side, reflected sound vs. direct sound, etc.).

Best on your upcoming work.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123