Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anywhere organ

Not truly portable (as in it goes anywhere), but the LDS Conference Center organ is on wheels, so it can be moved on and off stage for various situations.

130 Ranks, Schoenstein. See: https://www.mormontabernaclechoir.or...ce-center.html

One anywhere pipe organ that I definitely think is worth mentioning is an actual touring organ that was built in the late 18th century.
    This particular organ was called the Orchestrion and was designed by Georg Joseph (Abbe) Vogler (1749 – 1814) who was a German composer, organist, teacher and music theorist.

I've been trying to post a description of this organ but I've been unable to because of the character limit.

So if you are interested in this organ look for a book called In Praise of Harmony: The Teachings of Abbe George Joseph Vogler.
    You will find some of the most important information about this instrument on page 251 to 256.

And also you can view some of this book on Google books.

Quote Originally Posted by F Kalbrenner View Post
    I've been trying to post a description of this organ but I've been unable to because of the character limit.
    Post it in pieces if the character limit is in the way. However, if the book is copy written, it is never a good idea to post substantial parts of a work in a public forum (also a violation of law).

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Thanks I'll try posting some information about the design of Vogler's Orchestrion because I think some of the things I wrote about this organ is probably not that important.

So from what I’ve read the design of Vogler’s Orchestrion is rather unique but still a little bit of a mystery because Vogler was constantly making alterations to the instrument over the years. So what I’ve described bellow is some of the details of how the Orchestrion looked when it was first completed in 1790.

The Orchestrion is described as having a square bass that was about 9 feet both in width and depth, there were originally four keyboards each with a compass of about 63 notes from F to G, the pedals (which borrowed stops from the manuals) had about 39 keys from Fto G, there were 24 draw knobs and there was originally 3 swells (and by swells I mean three different types of dynamic expression such as a swell box a pressure swell and a Progressionsschweller). The Progressionsschweller (which was later removed) was basically a crescendo pedal while the pressure swell controlled only the reed pipes as the reeds used in this organ were free reeds.
    The tonal design is rather unique as each keyboard represented a different family of organ sounds except the Diapasons and Principles (But a principle rank I believe was later added along with a few other 8' voices). Manual 2 was for Flutes, manual 3 Free Reeds, Manual 4 Strings and string-like flutes, and if I’m correct manual 1 was for Mixtures and Mutations.

1 members found this post helpful.
    It’s probably a bit late to post anymore stuff on this thread since I think everyone has said all they can but I thought I might as well list a couple more anywhere pipe organs that I’m aware of.

The first organ is one that I read about a long time ago on a website about pipe organ oddities. The organ is called the Open Ait Konzert Orgel which was built by company called Hoffmann & Schindler in 1998. The design of this organ is rather novel as the instrument is mounted on the back of a truck much like a fairground organ so it can be driven to various events.

The specification for this organ can be found on the builder’s website but as far as I am aware there doesn’t seem to be any recordings of this organ.

https://orgelbau-hoffmann.de/open-ai...-orgel-mieten/

The second instrument is called the Anywhere Organ and is a midi pipe organ that is made up of recycled organ pipes. This organ was built sometime around 2011 and it contains only a single rank of pipes but the creator Matthew Borgatti had plans to expand the instrument but I think this organ is pretty much on the back-burner.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...anywhere-organ

1 members found this post helpful.
    Iíve found a video of that organ mounted on the back of a truck.

Itís basically just a video someone took of the organ performing in a market along with a brass band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNSwny3BKzc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12