Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M&H Found Today

Silk - I am not surprised the VH would be 'weak' so to speak. My interest is more that the instrument be complete. Anyway it looks like Nico might have something that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Organfella View Post
    Found them!

Herewith a number of pics of the drum type similar to the one Casey posted in Post #6:

Attachment 30089 Attachment 30092 Attachment 30090

Attachment 30091

The last picture shows the other which is not round but square-based and missing the closer mechanism.

Nico
    Didn't drop out; just had to go to Daytona for a couple of days. Yes, the roundish one looks very similar to Casey's pic. It's a little on the long side but that is no problem, we have the technology to make it fit. Let me look into the easiest way to post from SA to Florida and I will PM you.

OK. There is one thing that bothers me a little - the oblong hole in the wind chest where the VH should fit is much larger than the small 3/4" diameter hole in the drum. Now to adapt these should be easy but perhaps the original one had a different drum or larger vanes requiring more wind to drive it. The overall length can be easily reduced by cutting the tail end of the base and vane shaft and re positioning the post. Also check where the links are located to the stop - you want this to be as close to the VH mechanism as practical to avoid having to design elaborate extensions. You will know what I mean.

Perhaps Casey has something to say here.

If at all workable I would recommend international courier as our local Post Office is about so-so but it does still work...

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

OK. There is one thing that bothers me a little - the oblong hole in the wind chest where the VH should fit is much larger than the small 3/4" diameter hole in the drum. Now to adapt these should be easy but perhaps the original one had a different drum or larger vanes requiring more wind to drive it. The overall length can be easily reduced by cutting the tail end of the base and vane shaft and re positioning the post. Also check where the links are located to the stop - you want this to be as close to the VH mechanism as practical to avoid having to design elaborate extensions. You will know what I mean.

Perhaps Casey has something to say here.

If at all workable I would recommend international courier as our local Post Office is about so-so but it does still work...

Nico
    The hole coming up into the VH is 3/4". The oblong looks like something fit into it to hold the end of the VH in place or assure alignment of the wind holes. I don't anticipate a problem working with this. The linkage is already right in line with the drum of the VH. Looks like a straight shot. Still have not looked into posting methods but will do in next day or so.

Here's an example of a decent amount of VH effect, starting at 2:25 https://youtu.be/8KC_SfNeXCg
    This example is first stanza w/o and second with; this organ has a very prominent VH. https://youtu.be/7LHypNb5438

Quote Originally Posted by SubBase View Post
    Here's an example of a decent amount of VH effect, starting at 2:25 https://youtu.be/8KC_SfNeXCg
    This example is first stanza w/o and second with; this organ has a very prominent VH. https://youtu.be/7LHypNb5438
    Thanks for these examples .

For the past 3 days I have been putting wind through the Kimball action and chasing all my mistakes down one by one. Without mutes it is (at last!) quiet and all reeds play albeit some not so tunefully if you will. In this exercise I have learned that these instruments, unlike modern electronic types, are subtle or, gentle. While the VH is not aggressive it is certainly there if one is listening for it. I hope I can make the one Nico has work on my M&H as I feel it would be incomplete without it.

By the way, I did get the sub bass from ebay and it's in very good condition. The seller did not have the actuator rods so I will figure that out.

A question for you; on the stop board, under the stops is the word MUHLBACHER in gold leaf. I cannot find any reference to this in any of the literature or archives. Do you have any idea? I assume it refers to a person.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MUHLBACHER was probably the dealer/music store who sold it. The name's not familiar. There was a piano manufacturer in St. Petersburg (Russia) by that name. could they have been agents of M&H reed organs? M&H did mention a St Petersburg location in their heyday.
    Casey

I own a beautiful Storey & Clark organ bearing only the name Riegelhuth & Sons. This party was public auctioneers in Cape Town during the 1800's and likely imported the organs either piecemeal or in completed form but their name featured on the case. This is most likely the case with your one as well, except that Mason & Hamlin still appears proudly for all to see...

Here is a picture of my Storey & Clark:

20160723_124244.jpg

The music rack which goes in the center had been removed for transportation. You can clearly see the name of the Auctioneers where the legend: Storey & Clark ought to be. But who cares, she looks and sound good!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

I own a beautiful Storey & Clark organ bearing only the name Riegelhuth & Sons. This party was public auctioneers in Cape Town during the 1800's and likely imported the organs either piecemeal or in completed form but their name featured on the case. This is most likely the case with your one as well, except that Mason & Hamlin still appears proudly for all to see...

Here is a picture of my Storey & Clark:

20160723_124244.jpg

The music rack which goes in the center had been removed for transportation. You can clearly see the name of the Auctioneers where the legend: Storey & Clark ought to be. But who cares, she looks and sound good!

Nico
    Both you and Casey have suggested this is a dealer or private label mark and I have to agree. Looking a little more closely at the script style the Muhlbacher name was not put on by M&H as the script is different; particularly notable with the M. As you say, no worries, it will make music again and perhaps some day I'll run across the answer to the mystery. In the meantime it will be preserved for posterity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123