Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&H Found Today

Quote Originally Posted by SubBase View Post
    The Vox Humana is also missing.
    There is also a Vox Humana mechanism for sale from a Wilcox & White on *Bay. I'm not sure if they're one-size-fits-all, but Casey can certainly provide that information. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1885-Wilcox...s/253669439700

Hope that helps too.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Yes, thanks, I saw that too. I am going to try to find out if the vh on this action would be round as the one shown in Casey's pic. While it's probably possible to make any one of them work the round one appeals to me and I think it would be fun to recreate. At any rate getting the complete sub bass puts me way ahead of the game.

Notice that sub base chest has been sold - hope you grabbed it. It seems pricey but who cares? I have a couple of round VH mechanisms I grabbed from somewhere together with other bits and parts. Not sure where they are from but they both need new vanes. The distance between the posts is somewhat important as is the wind intake base. You wanna measure yours? (Shape and position of the hole etc. Close-up pics might help too). You can have one for the postage (which might be prohibitive given that I am located on another planet...) but there...

Good luck!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Yes indeed, I snagged it. Considering it's age, rarity and (anticipated) relatively good condition I was OK with the price. Think what it would be if the instruments were once again in demand ... And remember I got the instrument for a song ...

Here are pics of where I think the VH would mount ... on top of the 30 reed wind chest that is actuated by the vox celeste and saraphone pulls. You can see the oblong wind hole that I uncovered on the right hand end. The length from the end pivot post to the back of the vane box that (will) come up against the sub base chest can be no greater than 16". Height and width have tons of room. There is also a pic of the sub base opening. You can see the SB box will eat up all of that end of the instrument.

If you have something that might fit, lets talk about it. The price of postage seems unfair; you need to get something. Maybe a case of beer? Wait a minute ... how much is beer in SA?
    Attached Images Attached Images

contact the seller of the sub bases asap and ask if he has the set of 13 levers off the underside of the main action; yours are missing.
    I hate what the butchers did to this organ. I'm certain a drum-type VH like in my picture could be fitted.

Casey

- - - Updated - - -

when you look into the sub base void, you should see the ends of these levers:
    DSC03704.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    If you have something that might fit, lets talk about it. The price of postage seems unfair; you need to get something. Maybe a case of beer? Wait a minute ... how much is beer in SA?
    Aaah, yes, beer... But its been a while since I had one so forgot what it costs - probably around $15 for a case but no need. I am quite happy with coffee these days - and of course a "potjie" (You may want to ask Casey to explain exactly what that is...).

I will get into my garage where I have stashed about 12 organs and haul out those VH pieces. Looking at Casey's picture I would say they are similar and maybe one coud do something with one. It will require some work but of course you already know that and are probably standing by with shears and files and materials... From what we have so far it seems that your major issue would be the sub bass chest and levers or whatever Casey mentioned. Try and get those - such a beautiful instrument just does not sound right without that thundering bass.

And I echo Caasey's sentiments about organ butchers...!

Chat some more next week - gotta go get into that garage of mine...

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

No levers. I have contacted the seller about them but will not hold my breath. Looks like a possible fabrication job, eh?

What is a 'potjie'? Looks like a VH mechanism might cost me one ...

Was that a joke, Sir Nico? Did you make a glue pot from an iron pot?

Cdm - A lot of folks these days, including me, don't like the small quaver from a fan-type Vox Humana. (You might try cobbling up something temporary before you make the effort.)
    -- I'm Lamar - 1999 Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) -- Allen TC 4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post

What is a 'potjie'? Looks like a VH mechanism might cost me one ...
    Since Casey has been shy to come forward with his superior knowledge I will explain: A potjie is the local lingo for a special kind of stew brewed over an open fire in a cast-iron pot. Anything you fancy may go into it - from chicken to pork to beef to lamb and whatever trimmings you like, with spices and flavoring to match. The idea is not so much the eating but the gathering, nattering and visiting. Almost like a barbecue but if done right, tends to extend the visiting time. Sometimes the potjie is forgotten long before the beer runs out...

Nico

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silken Path View Post
    Was that a joke, Sir Nico? Did you make a glue pot from an iron pot?
    Naaaw, just fooling around. I was hoping Casey would comment because he knows exactly what this potjie thing is.... BTW, potjie is pronounced po'chee or something close...

Keep smiling Lamar!

Nico

Found them!

Herewith a number of pics of the drum type similar to the one Casey posted in Post #6:

IMG_20180630_072835.jpg IMG_20180630_072912.jpg IMG_20180630_073731.jpg

IMG_20180630_073814.jpg

The last picture shows the other which is not round but square-based and missing the closer mechanism.

Nico

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast