Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&H Found Today

M&H Found Today

Out junking today actually looking for Model T Ford parts. Spotted this buried in the very back of an 'antique' store; and I do mean buried. Only pics I could get. They said it came from a local barn where it sat under a canvas for decades. Been in the store for years. They wanted $100 - I said $25 take it or leave it. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

My question is; can anyone take a wild guess as to the period of this instrument based on the case style? I went through the Society archives and didn't see anything similar. Interestingly the back panel is decorated with the same raised carvings as on the side panel. Looks like it was meant to sit up where it could be seen, a church maybe. Anyway, another one saved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a style 431.Wild guess at the date: 1883-7.
    It is super-desirable to somebody like me. It's their top chapel model (of the non-Liszt Organ class) in the 1879 style cabinet, but with the most fully-developed version of the action, with Eolian Harp. Most of the ones with this case style do not have EH. In a few years this cabinet was replaced by the Sankey style, which tends toward Eastlake; this is still the earlier Renaissance Revival style.
    You need to get in touch with Nelson Pease and see if he has a music rack for it.

mp Mezzo-Piano Pipeorganbuilder's Avatar

Great find! This should much fun to restore. Best of luck.

Michael

Nice find! And a steal at $25. Nurture it, restore it, play it and enjoy it - or run the risk of getting both your kneecaps removed painfully.... (just kidding about the latter - how would you pump a pumper without those kneecaps anyway...). And there is only one stop face missing...

Casey is the M&H guru and when he says he covets it, it is worth it!

Enjoy and please do not be skimpy with posting some pictures so we can all drool...

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Ask and ye shall get! Just got her home a few minutes ago. Now sitting in an air conditioned shop. I am amazed at the condition considering it **allegedly** belonged the Baptist church then sat in a barn for decades and then has been in the back of an un-air conditioned store in central Florida for years. That's a lot of time in 80% RH ...

Stops from bass end are: Dia.Mel.Ser (?), Octave Coupler, Sub Bass 16', 1 Diapason, 2 Viola 4', (missing), Eolian Harp 2', Vox Humana, 2 Flute 4', 1 Melodia 8', Seraphone, Vox Celeste 8', Forte Vio.FL

Took the back off. There is no label nor Vox Humana mechanism. It doesn't look like the instrument has ever been refurbished or otherwise messed with which makes me curious about the missing VH. There is a separate 'box' of reeds which I assume are the sub bass. Guess I'll find out pulling stops. I assume this is a #25 action (per the M&H catalog).

I am thrilled that the stop board labeling is in excellent condition.

Yes, Casey encouraged me on this one; I would not have known the detail otherwise. I will dive into this project after I finish the Kimball (my first organ and the subject of other posts here). Probably be a month or two. Will certainly report on progress and undoubtedly have questions.

The sub bass is missing. The other chest there is the seraphone. The Vox Humana is also missing.
    This is an 1890 version of action 25.
    DSC04252.jpg

It seems most of the stop links are also not there but will all those missing bits still worth restoring. The case alone is something else! Wish I were closer but....

Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Seeing the 1890 version I suppose it's fair to wonder if what I have here is a an action 25 or is it from an earlier period? ... I assume the two large chests on the left of your photo are the sub bass and seraphone.

On the one I have here I can now see clearly that the sub bass chest is gone. However, the seraphone stop actuates the small chest on the left (see pics). This chest contains 30 reeds (2.5 octaves?). The seraphone pull opens the mute 1/2 way. However the vox celeste also actuates it, opening it fully. Your educated thoughts?

I can recreate the vox humana. However the sub base is another story. I suppose my options are to search for another, complete action 25, restore without this element or not restore.

In your opinion is it worth the restoration without the sub base (and seraphone if it is indeed missing)?

Well that is fortuitous! Thanks for spotting that. I just found where it fits. The opening was covered over with cloth and painted black. There appear to be actuators inside the opening toward the keyboard but nothing moves. Not surprising if it's all frozen up. Should be able to figure it out.

Any idea about the seraphone and vox celeste both operating the mute for the 30 reed wind box?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast