Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Allen TC-4 Project

Thanks Lamar,

Your description is very thorough, and makes perfect sense. There sure was a lot of inventiveness applied to mechanical sound animation back in the day. Of all the styles I have ever heard of / seen, this one is one I have never seen mentioned before this.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 ! ), E-5AR ( X 2, 1 parts, 1 not ), D80 ( parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( parts ), EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Quote Originally Posted by Silken Path View Post
    Now I know that hooters have flappers, or the other way around.
    I think the flappers came about in the early 1900s, and the hooters came later. Either way, I think the restaurant is still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrytow View Post
    Of all the styles I have ever heard of / seen, this one is one I have never seen mentioned before this.
    Seriously, I've never heard of, nor have ever seen the speaker style you shared. I've played at least three TC-? organs, and have never seen those speakers on any of them. One was very pipe-like sounding (live church), while the other was more dead (dry church). The third I only played once (Catholic church), and I think it was somewhere in-between. Ironically, the saving grace of each organ was Allen's Reeds on the TC series organs.

Maybe I will have the opportunity to see that system live before I croak. Thank you for sharing the particulars on that speaker style.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

1 members found this post helpful.
    Allen used rotating paddles in front of Jensen horn drivers for reed channels in some of their custom speaker installations too. Here's a photo of the late, lamented Sacramento instrument, showing two horns with paddles and two without. The o-ring belt is missing between the motor and the paddle shafts.

DSCN1587.jpg
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Hi, Larry. Thanks for the picture. (What was the Sacramento instrument?)

I'll get a picture of the smaller gyro I have, too, (but I'm not planning to use it with the TC-4).

I've ordered some small terminal strips that look very much like the ones Allen used that I want to add for the speakers in the gyro. There are filter caps inside, but no chokes.

I tried the "reed chorus" out for an extended play yesterday, and it was sounding better to my ears by the time I stopped.

And just planning and plotting, but this gyro doesn't have idle capability, so I could add a 14 VDC relay to activate it. And I could use a couple of the six unused antiphonal relay tabs on the organ to run the gyro and the flapper. (It won't need a Gyro Off tab.)

I could borrow a relay from the '59, but I think a heavy duty one might be in order.
    -- I'm Lamar - 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000 for parts - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- Roland RD300nx stage piano - 1899 Kimball reed organ (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Quote Originally Posted by AllenAnalog View Post
    Allen used rotating paddles in front of Jensen horn drivers for reed channels in some of their custom speaker installations too. Here's a photo of the late, lamented Sacramento instrument, showing two horns with paddles and two without. The o-ring belt is missing between the motor and the paddle shafts.
    Larry,

Your photo explains quite a bit. If I am guessing correctly, the "paddles" are the same as the rotating paddles in a vibraphone which help distribute the sound of that instrument? If so, I now fully understand what they do and what they are. Thank you!

Michael
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

1 members found this post helpful.
    Yes, the Allen rotating paddle system was just a small version of what is found on many other types of instruments to create a tremulant effect. Even Austin pipe organs with the Universal Wind Chest system used them since it was not possible to use a traditional tremulant system shaking the wind pressure.

The very large 1962 analog Allen organ that was in Sacramento has been discussed several times before on this forum. Here's a video of it before it was removed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVcJAGR4eI And here is a link to the photos: http://s862.photobucket.com/user/Del...962CustomAllen

I have both AC motor (one speed) and DC motor (multiple speed) Allen gyro cabinets on my analog theater organ. I do like the multi-speed cabinets best but they do require the Allen DC control unit and special motor.
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

So it's just a variant on the Vox Humana tremulant system on reed organs/pump organs. Interesting.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by AllenAnalog View Post
    The very large 1962 analog Allen organ that was in Sacramento has been discussed several times before on this forum. Here's a video of it before it was removed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVcJAGR4eI And here is a link to the photos: http://s862.photobucket.com/user/Del...962CustomAllen
    Thank you, Larry. It may be old news around the forum, but it's new to me. Wow!

Looks like it has the wood-sided white-topped keys like my '59. So now we've identified three types of keys - piano style, wood-sided plastic, pegged-insert plastic - that were used in the 50's to 60's.
    Last edited by Silken Path; 11-11-2018 at 12:45 AM.
    -- I'm Lamar - 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000 for parts - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- Roland RD300nx stage piano - 1899 Kimball reed organ (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930