Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Optimal VPO SW/sound option for my next step

The fact that this problem occurs mainly on one channel leads me to believe that your problem is not related to signal processing issues on your computer. Such issues will usually affect both channels equally and manifest themselves as spurious clicks and glitches, not a continuous noise that starts and ends with the playing notes. They will also be more prevalent when higher degrees of polyphony are required. Pitea is relatively dry without long reverb tails, so polyphony requirements are not particularly great.

Again, a recorded sample of what you're actually hearing would be very helpful, as would information on your computer and sound card configuration.

I finally got around to do a quick recording. Note that there is no noise before the phrase is played, then during the phrase, you can see the "kindling burning" noise in the L channel, and then after the music, no noise.
    Z
    http://longfinal.com/rnd48084762/OrganTest.wma

Quote Originally Posted by ziggi55 View Post
    I finally got around to do a quick recording. Note that there is no noise before the phrase is played, then during the phrase, you can see the "kindling burning" noise in the L channel, and then after the music, no noise.
    Z
    http://longfinal.com/rnd48084762/OrganTest.wma
    I could be wrong, because I've never actually had hands on with VPO tech but it 'sounds' to me like what people experience when the BUFFERS and other parameters of their audio processing software are not optimal for the amount of RAM they have or their processor resources or what have you. What are you working with as far as system resources?

I got a 16GB, 3+GHz machine, and I applied several of Sam's (samibe) suggestions from his pamphlet. (See previously in this thread). If you want to see a particular setting, please be specific. The GO sometimes runs on an empty (Win 7) system, and the noise is unchanged.
    Z

1 members found this post helpful.
    This does not sound like a buffer or processing problem to me. As I said previously, that type of problem would not be confined exclusively to one channel. Buffer problems are the result of the CPU not processing data fast enough to keep the sample buffers full. This can occur due to insufficient processing power and is usually associated with CPU and disk intensive background tasks, such as virus scans and file indexing, that steal processing time interfering with keeping the buffers full. When the buffer underflows, or becomes empty, the audio stream is interrupted, causing a glitch, and perhaps a pop or tick. But there's no reason to expect that if this was occurring it would only affect the left channel buffer.

Buffer problems are more likely to occur when there are high signal processing demands, such as when large amounts of polyphony are required. Polyphony can be increased by increasing buffer sizes, but the tradeoff is that larger buffers mean greater latency. The example is a single note melody played on single rank. Polyphony requirements, and hence processing requirements, couldn't be less and a multicore processor running at 3GHz should have no problem handling this. You can always monitor CPU and disk usage while the problem is occurring, but I'm sure you'll find that they are not being heavily taxed by a single note melody.

I think this an audio problem. It may be due to a bad sound card or maybe electrical noise from the computer circuitry is bleeding into the audio. Inaudible high frequency oscillations in the audio path often manifest themselves as light ticks and frying.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    This does not sound like a buffer or processing problem to me. As I said previously, that type of problem would not be confined exclusively to one channel. Buffer problems are the result of the CPU not processing data fast enough to keep the sample buffers full. This can occur due to insufficient processing power and is usually associated with CPU and disk intensive background tasks, such as virus scans and file indexing, that steal processing time interfering with keeping the buffers full. When the buffer underflows, or becomes empty, the audio stream is interrupted, causing a glitch, and perhaps a pop or tick. But there's no reason to expect that if this was occurring it would only affect the left channel buffer.

Buffer problems are more likely to occur when there are high signal processing demands, such as when large amounts of polyphony are required. Polyphony can be increased by increasing buffer sizes, but the tradeoff is that larger buffers mean greater latency. The example is a single note melody played on single rank. Polyphony requirements, and hence processing requirements, couldn't be less and a multicore processor running at 3GHz should have no problem handling this. You can always monitor CPU and disk usage while the problem is occurring, but I'm sure you'll find that they are not being heavily taxed by a single note melody.

I think this an audio problem. It may be due to a bad sound card or maybe electrical noise from the computer circuitry is bleeding into the audio. Inaudible high frequency oscillations in the audio path often manifest themselves as light ticks and frying.
    I agree on all points, but this is happening exclusively with GO, and it is NOT present in Hauptwerk or any other sound app (youTube, iTunes, etc.) running on the PC. Do you know if the GO designers are still responding to their chat group? I may try to ask these questions there.
    Z

What operating system and version are you using? What sound card/device are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by ziggi55 View Post
    Do you know if the GO designers are still responding to their chat group? I may try to ask these questions there.Z
    They certainly are. At https://sourceforge.net/p/ourorgan/discussion/

John Reimer

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    What operating system and version are you using? What sound card/device are you using?
    I run Win 7 (latest updates), the sound is on NVIDIA High Definition Audio, but I just noticed the driver is 5 years old. I will try to update it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123