Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Optimal VPO SW/sound option for my next step

I am happy to report that Lars resolved the issue by simply suggesting to reduce the sampling rate from 96k to 44100. The noise disappeared completely. However, playing a one-tone quick staccato now, the NOTE-ON event sometimes produces a click or a pop. This does not happen on 69k. I decided to live with this, and as Lars suggested, I will later try different settings, e.g. in the "samples per buffer" value and possibly other settings.

I am still getting used to the relative "harshness" of the GO sound - see my update above. But I understand that getting familiar with this great product is a process, and I am enjoying all this learning.
    Zdenek

It's good to hear that it's working better.

I find that it takes me a while to get used to new organs.
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

Quote Originally Posted by ziggi55 View Post
    I am still getting used to the relative "harshness" of the GO sound - see my update above. But I understand that getting familiar with this great product is a process, and I am enjoying all this learning.
    Zdenek
    Which sample sets are you using? I use GO with sample sets using the same samples as Hauptwerk and they sound great to me. Have you listened to any recordings of GO and HW sample sets? They sound pretty similar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeck View Post
    Which sample sets are you using? I use GO with sample sets using the same samples as Hauptwerk and they sound great to me. Have you listened to any recordings of GO and HW sample sets? They sound pretty similar to me.
    I am currently using Burea the most, but I tried Pitea, Cracow, and the Default set. Yes, I listened to the GO youTube videos and they sound OK. But in my system, I hear intermodulation. Not with HW. I will revisit everything shortly, to play with the settings. Right now I am finishing the 3rd manual's threshold bar with momentary combination switches. It is taking me 5x the time that I planned. Oh, well. Labor of love.

I am playing the Piotr Grabowski Giubiasco sample set, and a composite set I created from the Grabowski Friesach sample set, the Sonus Paradisi Rotterdam demo and the Goerlitz demo. It's a tad eclectic, but I find it good for a wide range of repertoire. When I just want to play Bach, I use the Giubiasco (even though I think Bach works well on my composite as well.)

The only HW sample set I tried was the free one that comes with the free version of HW. I don't like that instrument at all. I'm enjoying GO very much. Once you learn how to parse the ODF, it isn't too difficult to create composites or modify existing sample sets. As far as the sound is concerned, I'm fine with it. Perhaps I have a less refined ear than you.

I am playing the Piotr Grabowski Giubiasco sample set, and a composite set I created from the Grabowski Friesach sample set, the Sonus Paradisi Rotterdam demo and the Goerlitz demo. It's a tad eclectic, but I find it good for a wide range of repertoire. When I just want to play Bach, I use the Giubiasco (even though I think Bach works well on my composite as well.)
    ........Once you learn how to parse the ODF, it isn't too difficult to create composites or modify existing sample sets.
    Thanks for all the tips. A good spot for me to start my research.
    Z

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the sound is concerned, I'm fine with it. Perhaps I have a less refined ear than you.
    I doubt that. I am still working with the hypothesis that the sampling, bit resolution, and the buffer sizes are subject to more testing. As Lars suggested, default settings don't work well with just any sample set in GO.

All, to complete this thread for consistency and to benefit others, let me report that after making some changes, I am now much happier playing GO, mostly the Burea Church machine, with good results. Probably the most crucial change was to switch the sound engine interpolation from "Linear" to "Polyphase". That eliminated clicks and the rustling sound also on sampling rates higher than 44.1k (it had been first eliminated by reducing sampling to 44.1k). I also reduced the "Samples Per Buffer" value down to 128, while "compressing" the cache. I was then able to go back to the 24-bit resolution with 48k sampling rate (I think I can go back to 96k without awakening the rustling sound). Furthermore, probably due to "polyphase", I now hear the GO sound less harsh and distorted, although there is still a big difference (to me) when comparing it to HW.

Thanks to all who contributed to this issue here and, of course, Lars Palo.
    Zdenek

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234