Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choices Choices - home practice organ

Don't totally discount the Conn 721. I am also trying to learn liturgical playing after about 30 years of disuse. I'm using a Conn 645, (which is actually their theater organ) and after a few minor repairs, and cleaning the key contacts (not that hard) it has been trouble free. As others have pointed out, the sound is not as good as a digital organ, but it is not offensive. Visit it, play it, and see if you like its sound. That would be my recommendation for any organ.

One of the good things on this organ is that it uses standard components for its electronics (Other than the main oscillator coils). This means that it can be fixed if needed. there are no unavailable custom ic chips in the unit.

Tuning - the main oscillators should be rock stable. mine have never been tuned that I know of, and they are still right on pitch. The pedals (on mine) use variable resistors for tuning the 16' voices, and tend to drift. They are easily tuned by turning on both a 16' and an 8' stop, press the pedal, and tune it so the beats go away.

Moving it - when putting a Conn on a furniture dolly, tip it on its end. The housing for the pedal circuits between the sides cannot safely take the weight of the organ.

Good luck with your search and with whatever you decide to get.
    Ed Kennedy
    Current Organ - Conn 645 Theater

Thanks for everyone's replies, a quick update ...

The 603 would be the best. Kept me up at night thinkin' about it. I spoke with the guy and it's still available. There are a couple of things wrong with it but I believe they are fairly easy to repair. It's just too far away. They said they would deliver for a minimum $500, and if I had it, I'd go for it. It's just money I don't have right now. That's unfortunate because it's such a nice organ. That being said, I'm sure there's plenty more out there that will become available over time and eventually I will get one of that caliper.

On the local Allen that is/was available, the person who was supposed to look at it last weekend had a family emergency, so I'm still waiting to hear, but don't expect anything to come of it. Still don't even know what model it is/was.

Of the four I originally posted, the Baldwin model 4 or the Conn 721 were my first choices. After some further research, I think the model 4 is indeed a transistor organ, and the the Conn is pretty nice as well. But these are older, and after looking at the 603, I think patience is warranted here. Kinda likin' the Allen organs ... I don't want to think about what happens to these fine instruments when nobody takes them. I suppose I could just start collecting them ...

I have plenty to practice and learn on my SR7. Hopefully the pedals won't inhibit my progress. It will surely suffice until something more classical comes along. I missed a couple nice ones early on in this venture, and I'm sure I'll miss many more. But they are out there ...

Joel
    Last edited by JoelHof; 05-18-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    Instr: Conn Artist 721 Deluxe, Kawai SR7A, Wersi Arcus w/ Pegasus Expander
    In-Process: Allen 1203-4ManDKC
    Midi Ctlrs: Arturia KeyLab 49 x 2
    Comp: Dell Prec. T5500 WorkStation-Win7pro/Linux Mint, HP DL580-G5 Server-Linux Mint-Presonus Firestudio project x 2
    Sftwr: Arturia V Collection 4/5, ZynAddSubFX, Hauptwerk free ed, asst'd VST's, Cantabile, Ableton Live Lt, Ardour, Reaper, Cakewalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoelHof View Post
    Kinda likin' the Allen organs ... I don't want to think about what happens to these fine instruments when nobody takes them. I suppose I could just start collecting them ...
    Joel,

That's been done before. Still being done. I'm actually not far from you either! If I hear of anything locally, I'll certainly let you know.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12