Thread: X keys help please.

X keys help please.

Is Taylor Harvey on here anywhere?? I have a set of Xkeys for use on my Hauptwerk setup. XK-16 I believe, the long stick of one row of keys. I know he uses them in particular. I'll be damned if I can figure out how to program them so they actually work. I figured out how to program them as regular letters or numbers from a keyboard, but HW recognizes the whole set of keys as one, so no matter which key I press it does the same single function. I did not have any trouble programming keys on the computer keyboard to act as pistons, but can't figure out how to use these X keys. Does anyone use them and know how to make them work with HW?
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

Hi, steverose. This is Dan from P.I. Engineering. We make the X-keys. Sorry, I don't know much about programming in Hauptwerk, but we can confirm your X-keys is working properly and perhaps put you in touch with another Hauptwerk and X-keys user. Please email us: tech@xkeys.com. Thanks.

Thanks, but I had someone speak up on Facebook and show me just what I needed to do. Now they are working perfectly.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

Very happy to hear that.

ppp Pianississmo Iris Felice Harris's Avatar

Hi. I have the same stick and have not been able to figure out how to configure it in Hauptwerk. Would you share your info with me? I would be so appreciative.

I. Harris

Iris, I replied to your message, and for future reference for anyone else, here is a link and the instructions from it.

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15986

A friend of mine had bought 4 16 button X-Keys strips for his organ. He had a heck of a time trying to program them and getting them to work.(Years) He thought that Hauptwerk would just auto detect them, of course it didn't. The X-keys comes with a program called Macro Works. I knew what a macro did but didn't know why you would need this. We found a thread in the Hauptwerk forum and it was saying something about the computer keyboard. Long story short the computer keyboard is the interface between Hauptwerk and the X-keys. Below is how you do

Here is the easy explanation of how to program the X-Keys

1. Make sure the program switch is closest to the cord.
    2. Open MacroWorks 3.1 if it did not open automatically.
    3. Go to the "Mode Menu"and select “Hardware”
    4. Go to the layout Menu. Should be a diagram of the X-Key strip.
    5. The X-keys will be blank or gray.
    6. Double click the first button.
    7. Keystrokes screen comes up. Check the box Automatic Separation of up & down strokes.
    8. Hit any key on the computer keyboard. Whatever you hit will appear in the 2 boxes of the
    keystroke screen.
    9. Hit Save
    10. After all the X-keys are programmed, go to File and select “Write to Device” The green led will blink on
    the strip.
    11. Now move the switch on the strip away from the cord.
    12. Now you can auto detect the pistons or tabs for whatever organ you are using.

Note: You can only use the letter or number or any key on the keyboard once. The MacroWorks program cannot distinguish between capital and lower case. All it knows is the letter is used. Hope this helps.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

If I buy 64 keys can I use ctr+alt and ctr+shift keystrokes?

I was on the P.I. site yesterday. Interesting products. I did notice that the 4,8, and 16 key strips all cost $99. Is that also the experience of users here?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnallen View Post
    If I buy 64 keys can I use ctr+alt and ctr+shift keystrokes?
    John, I don't believe that you can, but will have to look at them to be sure. I don't think the issue is with the Xkeys, but with HW. In short if you can make a computer keyboard do it in HW then you can make Xkeys do it in HW. If you play around with your current setup and try auto detecting pistons using your QWERTY keyboard, that should let you see how many possibilities HW will recognize. I hope that makes some sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    I was on the P.I. site yesterday. Interesting products. I did notice that the 4,8, and 16 key strips all cost $99. Is that also the experience of users here?
    I purchased my 16 key strip on Amazon at $104.95. I think it turned out to be just slightly cheaper than paying shipping due to it being Amazon Prime.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

Quote Originally Posted by steverose View Post
    I purchased my 16 key strip on Amazon at $104.95. I think it turned out to be just slightly cheaper than paying shipping due to it being Amazon Prime.
    I was mainly bemused by the identical pricing of such disparate products. If you need, and have the space for the 16 key unit, great. But if you need instead, say four 4 key units, or even just one 4 key unit, because of intrinsics of your console design, paying $400 in the first case and $100 in the second might make for some hesitation, if not a search for an alternate solution.