Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: A.R. Pratte Pump Organ

  1. #1
    ppp Pianississmo RJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    7

    A.R. Pratte Pump Organ

    I am seeking information about a pump organ that I have owned for many years.
    It is an AR Pratte pump organ
    The label on the organ states: A.R.Pratte Montreal Canada

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    PS:
    How can I post a picture of the AR Pratte pump organ?
    Last edited by RJC; 04-18-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: I am trying to post a picture

  2. #2
    Moderator myorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,111

    RJC,

    Welcome to the Forum! I would suggest you search the Reed Organ Database: http://www.reedsoc.org/Database/data...=0&ExtraPict=0. There is only limited information on the builder, but no organs so far. It sounds like you have a rather unique instrument.

    Posting pictures in only available to new members (for obvious reasons) after a few initial posts are verified. After that, when you click on Go Advanced, you'll see an area below the entry box where you can upload photos and manage attachments.

    Hope this helps, and I hope you continue to contribute on the Forum!

    Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

  3. #3
    ppp Pianississmo RJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    7

    Thank you for your help

    Thank you very much for your help.
    I will search the reedsoc.org website.
    When I am granted permission, I will post a picture



    Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    RJC,

    Welcome to the Forum! I would suggest you search the Reed Organ Database: http://www.reedsoc.org/Database/data...=0&ExtraPict=0. There is only limited information on the builder, but no organs so far. It sounds like you have a rather unique instrument.

    Posting pictures in only available to new members (for obvious reasons) after a few initial posts are verified. After that, when you click on Go Advanced, you'll see an area below the entry box where you can upload photos and manage attachments.

    Hope this helps, and I hope you continue to contribute on the Forum!

    Michael
    Last edited by myorgan; 04-19-2018 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Correct quote.

  4. #4
    ff Fortissimo Organfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cape town South Africa
    Posts
    1,631

    Hi and welcome to the Pumper Forum! You will not be sorry that you joined this bunch.

    You might want to do some searching for Dominion and Cornwall organs on the Reed Organ Data base as well. It appears that the manufacturers cut their teeth on those models (reading the write-up on the data base) It is likely that your model will incorporate some of the features of those manufacturers. Anyhow the search might provide some interesting reading if nothing else. And I seriously suspect that with names like that the mentioned LouisEtienneNapoleon Pratte was certainly not of Greek origin.....

    Good hunting!

    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

  5. #5
    ppp Pianississmo RJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    7

    Tip Appreciated

    Thank you for the suggestion.
    I will search for "Dominion of Cornwall" in the database.
    I think the pump organ was manufactured in Montreal.



    Quote Originally Posted by Organfella View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Pumper Forum! You will not be sorry that you joined this bunch.

    You might want to do some searching for Dominion and Cornwall organs on the Reed Organ Data base as well. It appears that the manufacturers cut their teeth on those models (reading the write-up on the data base) It is likely that your model will incorporate some of the features of those manufacturers. Anyhow the search might provide some interesting reading if nothing else. And I seriously suspect that with names like that the mentioned LouisEtienneNapoleon Pratte was certainly not of Greek origin.....

    Good hunting!

    Nico

  6. #6
    pp Pianissimo Rodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    93

    Hi RJC,

    Pratte was more of a distributor than a builder, at least that is what I found on my research of them so far. They often purchased from Estey, installed a keyboard transposer in it with some added keyslip modifications, then slapped their name on it as if it looked like it was made by them. I have to yet see proof that they actually made harmoniums or reed organs, regardless of what the Canadian Encyclopedia or advertisements of the day has to say... If they actually did manufacture their own, there would not be very many in existence.

    A.R. Pratte would point to a later model. It would be interesting so see what it looks like.

    Rodney
    To play a reed organ or harmonium, it helps to disconnect your feet from your brain and connect them to your emotions.
    Most of all, be creative, make music and have fun...


    Website: http://www.rodneyjantzi.com/

  7. #7
    ppp Pianississmo RJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    7

    Thanks for the information

    Thanks for the info.
    Permission granted to post a photo...

    Here is what I have.

    Orgue2.JPG


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Hi RJC,

    Pratte was more of a distributor than a builder, at least that is what I found on my research of them so far. They often purchased from Estey, installed a keyboard transposer in it with some added keyslip modifications, then slapped their name on it as if it looked like it was made by them. I have to yet see proof that they actually made harmoniums or reed organs, regardless of what the Canadian Encyclopedia or advertisements of the day has to say... If they actually did manufacture their own, there would not be very many in existence.

    A.R. Pratte would point to a later model. It would be interesting so see what it looks like.

    Rodney

  8. #8
    Moderator myorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,111

    Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    Permission granted to post a photo...

    Here is what I have.
    WOW! That appears to be a child or field organ that folds into itself. Does it have a carrying strap on one side? What a neat find!

    Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

  9. #9
    ppp Pianississmo RJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    7

    Here are More pictures

    The pump organ has carrying handles.
    Here is a picture of the back which I have opened up.
    Notice the screw driver tool that came with the pump organ.
    Also you can see the serial number...perhaps those inclined to do research can find these photos helpful.



    Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    WOW! That appears to be a child or field organ that folds into itself. Does it have a carrying strap on one side? What a neat find!

    Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Moderator myorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,111

    Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    The pump organ has carrying handles.
    [snip]
    Notice the screw driver tool that came with the pump organ.
    That handle appears original, and it is what I'd expect to see on such an organ.

    The "screwdriver tool" in the back serves a double purpose. It has a screwdriver on one end, and on the other end of the circle, you'll find a reed-puller. It looks a bit like a crocheting hook, but it is actually used to pull the reeds for cleaning. The hook part goes in the divet/notch at the end of the base of the reed. Don't do anything drastic with the reeds because they can be quite fragile. However, you can pull any reed that is silent, and blow sharply across the reed, and loosen any dust between the reed and the housing. Any spec of dust can silence a reed.

    Hope this helps a little.

    Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Old Pump Organ !
    By Laralee Steinfeldt Boyd in forum Pump & Reed Organs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2017, 05:30 PM
  2. Pump organ ID, please take a look.
    By n61870 in forum Pump & Reed Organs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 08:02 PM
  3. Fiesta Pump Organ
    By digitaldave in forum Home Organs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 04:55 PM
  4. Bridgeport Pump Organ
    By erichmiller in forum Buy & Sell Church & Classic Organs Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 03:15 AM
  5. Monarch Pump organ
    By John30507 in forum Pump & Reed Organs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 02:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •