Thread: tune issue with farfisa compact

tune issue with farfisa compact

Hello guys,

New member of the forum. I recently picked up a farfisa compact, sound is OK but I noticed after a couple of minutes (something like 20 - 30) some notes are not tuned anymore.
    The E becomes a F# as well as the B. Do you think I should wait before rtying to tune it? Do you think this is something related to the capacitors? Do you think the tone generators are impacted or do I need to check the capacitors in the alim block? other ideas?

Thanks all!

Based on personal experience restoring two Compact Duos, I believe the tuning drift relates to some transistors on the oscillator boards. I located my bad ones with freeze spray. Ultimately I replaced every electrolytic cap on the oscillator boards and all the other boards too. This gave stable tuning, full tone and volume. Best of luck with your project!
    Hammond BC/Leslie 147
    MK2 Farfisa Compact Duo/Binson Echorec 2

Restored and rehomed; RT3, C3, M102, L122, T202, 122, 147,760 x3

Thanks for your reply Dave, any suggestion on the capacitors and transistors to use If I decide to replace the old ones? You recommend to find them on ebay?

I usually use CPC Farnell as a supplier of components or there is Digikey, RS etc. I go for a decent brand of capacitors such as Panasonic. Many of the capacitors in the Compact will be the same value such a 1uf or 10uf especially on the tone cards. Some cap values are rare now but you can use a slightly higher value. Make sure the voltage rating of the new cap is the same or higher. Those are the only two things to consider apart from whether the capacitor needs to be radial or axial. And of course these electrolytic caps are polarity sensitive. This is repetitive work but not difficult so please don’t be put off. It will be worth the effort. My Duo is still perfectly in tune five years later.

For transistors I have a trustworthy source in the UK. If you are buying transistors on ejBay, check the reputation of the seller and make sure they are a proper supplier.

I would replace all the electrolytic capacitors first before worrying about transistors. Those old Falcon caps were apparently never reliable.

Best of luck!
    Hammond BC/Leslie 147
    MK2 Farfisa Compact Duo/Binson Echorec 2

Restored and rehomed; RT3, C3, M102, L122, T202, 122, 147,760 x3

Ok great thanks!