Thread: how is the volume changed of the choir division?

how is the volume changed of the choir division?

I know that the great's volume can't really be changed and that the swell division uses shutters, but on organs I hear that use the choir swell shoe, there's a big difference between loud and soft. how is that achieved?

1 members found this post helpful.
    The same way it is on the swell. By default, choir divisions are constructed just like swell divisions - that is, all the pipes of the choir are inside their own box with louvered sides. The Swell and Choir boxes can also be opened or closed simultaneously by "bridging" the small pace between them with your foot.

Tonyt
    Home: Johannus Opus 370

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melos Antropon View Post
    The Swell and Choir boxes can also be opened or closed simultaneously by "bridging" the small pace between them with your foot.
    Or by using the convenient "All Swells to Swell" coupler.

I cannot wait to see the day when the pedal division is rendered partly expressive along with all Manual divisions that are partly expressive as well. I wish High power reeds were behind the swell shades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Madison View Post
    I cannot wait to see the day when the pedal division is rendered partly expressive along with all Manual divisions that are partly expressive as well. I wish High power reeds were behind the swell shades.
    It's been done. Only the biggest organs though. Conventional wisdom is that shades do bad things for pipes so they are a necessary evil for 'some' pipes to suffer. There will always be a rank or few of high pressure reeds (on any organ big enough to have high pressure reeds) left unenclosed for the rest of our lifetimes.

On smaller organs, the Great is sometimes in a swell box. Often some pedal stops are duplexed from the swell, giving partial expression to the pedal division.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    It's been done. Only the biggest organs though. Conventional wisdom is that shades do bad things for pipes so they are a necessary evil for 'some' pipes to suffer. There will always be a rank or few of high pressure reeds (on any organ big enough to have high pressure reeds) left unenclosed for the rest of our lifetimes.
    How? I mean if a proper swell is constructed then i see no problem. The problem i have with high pressure reeds is that they need to be brought under proper control. it like telling a trumpet player to play loud as possible while everyone else follows the dynamics markings its not musical its noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Or by using the convenient "All Swells to Swell" coupler.
    I'll never forget the SB "organist" who engaged the ASTS on the huge digital Rodgers, then put her right foot on both the (combined) Swell pedal and crescendo, and wailed away... some sounds, one can never forget.