Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's a piano??

Quote Originally Posted by samibe View Post
    It ends up costing a tech more in time and effort to deal with a poor piano than they are likely to get paid for. In that case, it's not throwing money away, it's choosing the jobs that pay enough and don't have more problems pop up after every issue you solve.
    Quite understandable.
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks a piano must have a mechanical action and strings to be a piano?

It seems that there are a good number of people alive today who have no idea what's inside a piano. Everything with a keyboard, including a 3-manual pipe organ is a "piano." But especially, low end electronic keyboards are "pianos."

How long before people just don't believe that music can be made without electricity?
    Interesting thread, and the comments are, as usual very informative.

Slightly off- topic but too funny to pass up - a friend who has since passed on kind of got introduced to computers at a relatively advanced age - something like 50-ish. He would always refer to the PC keyboard as the "printer"....

Bless his soul.

Nico
    I
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Well in the pre-IBM-clone-craze-era, everyone called the computer "the keyboard" (keyboards were mostly integrated into home computers at that point) and didn't know where the computer was. Some thought it was in the disk drive. Some the monitor.

Then everyone switched to AT clones, and for decades people would call the keyboard "the computer" and call the computer "the hard drive."

I think it's because he's finding that the thin, cheap wood used in the back-boards will not hold torque, thus won't hold tune. There are also a lot of leather links involved in the mechanism, but those are in good shape on mine. I've had this piano since I inherited it in 1976 and it's traveled with me for a few moves. I ignored it for years and years (until my sister decided I needed an organ a few years ago). I also stand to inherit a huge Townes carved upright - about 600 lbs of it - but don't want to rush the day since it lives with an elderly uncle.
    -- I'm Lamar - 1999 Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) -- Allen TC 4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    But.... in 30 years, you'll still be able to fix a grand piano, but the parts for the current digitals will all be made of unobtanium!
    And that is so true.... Even worse, it won't take 30 years.

One thing I decided to watch recently in all its majesty and that is the Beethoven level from the arcade game ‘Dragon’s Lair 2’. The uniqueness of this game was that it used hand drawn animation and it was made by the same people who did such animated films as ‘Land before time’ and ‘Secret of Nihm’. Dragon’s Lair was a sort of typical night save princess but with a sense of humour. The sequel was a little more imaginative in that it had the payer’s character travels to different locations through time but also to some strange locations like Alice in Wonderland and Beethoven’s house.

And when I mean the Beethoven level is strange it is! The wacky ideas in this game are something that people like the Nostalgia Critic would always mention whenever they talk about the two ‘Dragon’s Lair’ games.

Recently I decided to watch the Beethoven scene in all its glory because of how strange it and decided that it was worth talking about. It starts with the knight appearing in Beethoven’s about the size of a mouse trying to fend off being eaten by a cat while Beethoven is playing his 5th Symphony at the piano. It sounds simple but as the scene progresses it just gets stranger and stranger.

https://youtu.be/-lwOzgFJxaQ?t=5m4s

I keep seeing a handful of the opposite on ebay. (i.e. pianos or piano parts listed as organs or organ parts). Like this. This one cracked me up.
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

I am just curious has any one played on a "Prepared Piano" as in putting junk in the strings to get odd effects while playing? John Cage wrote several pieces for it, now their is a piano that had "Stops" that ravel wrote for i cant remember what it is.

What i cant wrap my head around is that you have a quarter tone piano and a quarter tone pipe organ.

I haven't played one, but I helped with setup and care for this one (when I worked for the BYU piano shop).
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

Sort of. When I was in a band, we intentionally detuned one (almost musette like tuning).

We were going to turn it into a tack piano but never got round to it.
    Last edited by KC9UDX; 04-03-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast