Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advise for a child beginner - PLEASE help!

We're not that bad, Casavant Fan, honest!

For real rough treatment, just imagine what would happen if a home organ fan turned up on a classical pipe organ forum. Oh hang on, that was me a couple of months back. I was invited on, then roasted for mentioning the 'D' word. Not going back!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

1 members found this post helpful.
    These pipe boys need to pipe down.

While I sometimes wish for a speaker organ to be able to practice at home (especially in winter), I love "my" pipe organs and I would encourage every organ student to try and get some playing time on such an instrument. The experience won't hurt.

Anyway, I'd rather have someone play only one type of organ than not play the organ at all.

Greetings from a pipe ... erm, definitely not boy

I want everyone who has replied to this thread to know I greatly appreciate each and every opinion. I know you wouldn’t be on this forum if you were not passionate about playing organ. Along with that passion obviously comes strong opinions and that’s OK! I have thick skin and opinions too, lol. At this point the little lowrey will
    Be practically free and may have to suffice, perhaps with asking a church down the road for some practice privilege and if love and dedication prevail more resources will be poured into a more suitable instrument. Again, thanks so much for your opinions!

When you go to get any organ, test as much as you can before buying and moving. Make sure all of the keys, pedals, speakers and most of the buttons work and that they produced the correct tones, as a minimum. Be as careful as possible when moving the organ. Also, test everything again after moving it to your house. One of the risks with inexpensive organs is that the electronic components are usually old (often cheap) and can fail unexpectedly. Sometimes issues can be fixed easily enough, but usually it's not worth the time, effort, or money (especially now that good used organs are as inexpensive as they are). Sometimes issues might render the instrument completely useless. Hopefully, the little lowery will work well enough that your daughter can start learning and have fun.

Good luck and wish your daughter good luck from all of us on the forum.
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

I'd echo that. If you test the organ as described and there's a fault, it's probably best to walk away. If there are faults - plural - then run away! Never buy an organ with a fault unless you know that YOU can fix it for less than the value of the organ.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

That little ( Very Little ! ) Lowery seems to be part of an online estate sale auction. If it is, then you are bidding on something that you have not yet seen, or heard, or tried out. There are very few organs I would buy in that manner, and that one would not be one of those few.

It seems that your mind is pretty well made up already, but I'd just like to put one thought in your mind before you haul something home that you will likely not be very pleased with:

That Yamaha D-80 is advertised for 99.00 . I would bet that if you go to see it, with your daughter obviously, and explain why you are interested in the organ ( she Really, Really, Really ! wants to learn to play ), I'm pretty sure you could get it for considerably less than the asking price. Depending on the seller, perhaps even free ? Ya never know till you try though. Some of the best deals come from in person contacts. And with unwanted organs, people can surprise you with their generosity, particularly if they feel they are helping a kid learn to play music.

Since the Yamaha and the Lowery seem to be in the same city, you will need to arrange moving for either one. If that is so, then better to pay someone to move a nicer one for you.

We really are trying to help. Glad you have a thick skin ! We all want to see the younger generations take up the organ.

One last thing : I just looked at the ad again. That ad has been on CL for 30 days now, and obviously the organ has not sold yet. So, the seller may be really wanting to get it a new home, regardless of what price he / she can get for it.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234