Thread: Gulbransen President info

Gulbransen President info

There doesn't seem to much info about the 4116w on the net. There is a youtube video of a woman playing one that is almost like the one I have.

What years were they made? Is the amp tube or transistorized and would there be a schematic on the inside back panel?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry,
    I meant to say that there doesn't seem to be much info about the 4116w on the net.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Hi

All solid state, Gulbransen went all transistor as far back as the 1950s! The 4116W is the later of the two President models, and ran from 1974 until the late 1970s. Not really a theatre model, that would have been the Premiere or the Rialto II, but it has superb theatre style tibias running through a Rotosonic Leslie unit, and has the same sounds available on drawbars for a very smooth sound. Excellent Piano and Harpsichord (for the era). But that's it, no strings, reed or brass at all. Rhythm unit is OK but nothing better or worse than most of that era.

AFAIK, there is no schematic on the back panel - perhaps a block diagram or location of boards, but I've never opened one up to check.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Thanks Andy,

I thought my organ was older than that. I actually thought it could be fifty years old. The beat box is not as advanced as the one on the Conn that I had before. The beat box is more like the kind that came before the automatic ones that "strum" the chords.

To be honest, not much happened between the first and second generation Presidents. Harpischord was added to the Piano and they moved the drawbar pistons around to the left. The Select-a-Rhythm 20 is firmly rooted in the 1960s, there was no auto-accompaniment, but the 'W' should mean that you have the Walking Bass unit mounted centrally rather than as an add-on box at the front of the organ.

The 2134 President launched in 1969, was replaced by the 4116 in 1972. The 4116W was, as I said, launched in 1974.

So you're not far wrong in saying that it has the 'feel' of a 50 year old organ.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

The Diapason and reeds are synthesized from the Flute tones since these are like a Hammond all flute organs. As Andy mentioned there are no string stops.

James
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models