Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Project: Mason & Hamlin style 901

New Project: Mason & Hamlin style 901

I have coveted this model for a long time, for the elaborate casework, and of course the unmatched innards; previously had a less ornate style 902.
    image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    Eastlake style is a long time favorite of mine, and this model is of superb quality of workmanship, materials, and variety of sounds.
    Can't wait for the warmer weather so I can delve into it.
    Casey
    Last edited by SubBase; 12-31-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Hello Sub base,

That is a good looking organ. How many banks of reeds? Is the bellows extra large? You are very lucky to find it.

Reed Puller

The reservoir is 11". It uses 4 springs on the res. Higher "pressure" (sic). 3.5 rows (+Sub) lower manual, 3 rows upper manual, Plus the usual soft stops; forte stops over each of the 4 foundation ranks, a Vox Humana (fan) and a valve tremulant (upper man). The upper 16ft and 4ft are unenclosed (very powerful). The 16/8/4 on the lower manual are Liszt-scale reeds.
    Lower man divides a middle b/c, upper at e/f above middle c. With a little creativity there is nothing you can't play on it.
    Close-up of the stopboard from the style 902 I used to own; same spec as the 901.
    DSC03808.jpg

Wow, love that style: We are FEDERATED, and we are here to HELP you.
    -- I'm Lamar - 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- Roland RD300nx stage piano - 1899 Kimball reed organ (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Wow! Casey. Thanks for sharing. That one is going to keep you busy for a while - please share some more pics and of course, some sounds when you are done. A very good start to the new year for you!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

I did a bit of disassembly. In my new "shop" unheated, 19 degrees f.
    IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    It's not showing 134 years of dirt, so it has been maintained; the reservoir was recovered, but the cloth is again crunchy. Yet it has not been repeatedly taken apart, because all the screw heads are pristine.
    Job 1 is to get the shop wood stove re-assembled; I got a 1st generation Vermont Castings "Defiant" to heat the shop. It was 3* last night, so we need lots of heat.
    Casey

Good luck with the heating bit - we measured 30 degrees C this morning at 07.15 inside the house! It is promising to be a scorcher!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI have been doing repairs and recreations of damaged and missing case parts in my spare time the last couple of months.
    I finally have a chunk of free time to really attack the disassembly and start cleaning. I took the actions out of the case and then did some case repairs (re-gluing the broken glue joints) as I went.
    It's funny how moths completely consumed some felts, yet left others one inch away untouched (same kind of felt, too).

Casey,

Your posts are always informative, and your work top-notch. Thanks for sharing some of your secrets with us.

Not to make you jealous, but the foundation of our new, heated garage is being poured as I type. I'm looking forward to having a climate-controlled work and practice space. Now I can get to some of the repairs needed on my pump organs. 24'x32', and my wife already has plans to fill it.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Thanks Casey for sharing your work of love. It certainly looks as though you have still a lot to do. The weather is probably a little warmer and more kind to warm blooded animals by now also.

I am a lot more impatient when it comes to restoring and repairing. Once started, I tend to want to finish what I started, But it is more dedicated guys like you who really keep those old'uns original. I hope you will soon have those bellows ready and let the old gal breathe good sounds once more...

Nico

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast