Thread: Troubleshooting a Philips Philicorda 751

Question Troubleshooting a Philips Philicorda 751

Hi! I'm trying to fix an old Philicorda organ. Currently it doesn't produce any musical sounds, only weird beeps and boops. This video explains the current situation: https://youtu.be/AFiRIMvRvDw

It is an older version of the Philicorda which uses tubes (ECC83) as oscillators and then divides the frequency with the help of small neon tubes (ZA1001). The output is powered by germanium transistors.

I haven't got the slightest idea where to start troubleshooting this. According to the service manual some of the voltages on the power supply are a bit off and the heaters in the ECC83 don't seem to light up very much although that's a bit hard to see. All the small neon tubes light up but some of them flicker.

Any help pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated!

Hi!! Same problem on the one I have. Only only weird beeps and boops and some part of the keyboard dos not make any sound.
    Did you find any answer and ways to restaure it?
    Thanks!

I have a Hohner Symphonic 320 that uses bulb dividers. There should be (might be?) trim pots on the dividers - the dividers can lock up on 5ths as well as octaves above where they should be and throw off the tuning of the next octave. If your power supply voltages are off or unstable you should probably replace the PS filters.

Careful poking around- the bulbs use high voltage, but the divider trim pots should be safe to move.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhjerppe View Post
    Hi! I'm trying to fix an old Philicorda organ. Currently it doesn't produce any musical sounds, only weird beeps and boops. This video explains the current situation: https://youtu.be/AFiRIMvRvDw

It is an older version of the Philicorda which uses tubes (ECC83) as oscillators and then divides the frequency with the help of small neon tubes (ZA1001). The output is powered by germanium transistors.

I haven't got the slightest idea where to start troubleshooting this. According to the service manual some of the voltages on the power supply are a bit off and the heaters in the ECC83 don't seem to light up very much although that's a bit hard to see. All the small neon tubes light up but some of them flicker.

Any help pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated!
    Hello,

I do not know this particular device but i can try to help you.

The sound is very bad but there is no missing note. This indicates that generators, dividers and the keyboard works properly.

Download manuals, for example here:
    http://egrefin.free.fr/eng/studio/philicordaE.php
    Refer to the user manual and block diagram.

While holding down a key giving a sound, press the various settings and take a list of what works and what does not work. It will help you to identify the trouble.

Gently move the wires and connectors and hurt the PCB with the handle of a screwdriver. If there is a bad solder you should find it.

Observe the Pcb, looking for burns, leakages , and overheating component especially in the amps. Let the amplifier warm up. You can hold your finger without pain on each transistor of the output amplifier (no dangerous voltage here).

JP