Thread: Using my Geo. P Bent pump organ in recording

Using my Geo. P Bent pump organ in recording

Hi All. I hauled my old Crown pump organ down to the recording studio this weekend. I'm in a band called The Ghosts Of Johnson City and primarily play a harmonium live in that band. But with our second album of all original songs this time, we decided for the fuller sound of the pump organ with more options for different textures of sounds with the different stops. It performed for us beautifully in its completely unrestored state.

While in the studio (Acadia Recording Studio in Portland, ME) I spied a book called "The American Reed Organ". On the first page is this picture which shows a woman in front of a Geo. P Bent Crown organ exactly like mine. If you compare the cutouts over the front reed bank in the wood and the patterns underneath along with the way its carved, it is exactly the same organ. I also looked her up as it shows her birth and death date and that she was in Minnesota. I found her on a genealogy forum and it was noted that she died of the Spanish influenza of 1918. Oddly enough one of our songs is called "Jordans Golden Shore" and its about the Spanish influenza of 1918.
    Just a cool little synchronicity to add to an amazing weekend recording 15 songs. 22 hours later we had all of the tracking done.

ppp Pianississmo Reedorgansforever's Avatar

That is a really cool coincidence! Glad you are enjoying that organ, I'm going to be looking for that album, will it be on ITunes?

Quote Originally Posted by Reedorgansforever View Post
    That is a really cool coincidence! Glad you are enjoying that organ, I'm going to be looking for that album, will it be on ITunes?
    Yes it will! You can also get our first album that we recorded last summer. You can find links to the music from our website:

http://theghostsofjohnsoncity.com/

The new album should be out this fall. You can also find us on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/theghostsof...ncity/?fref=ts

ppp Pianississmo Reedorgansforever's Avatar

Thanks! I'm gonna check it out!

Todd our recording engineer sent me a text yesterday saying he couldn't stop thinking about how huge the organ sounded so he's probably going to get one for the studio.
    A friend of his has one in working condition for sale for $100. He said the name on it is Smith. He showed me a video of it last night and it looks amazing. Looks to have more stops than mine.
    Hopefully sub base too.

are you really Tom Waits?
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by SubBase View Post
    are you really Tom Waits?
    Casey
    No, I'm nowhere near that cool
    I've been a Tom Waits fan since 1986 and have pretty much everything he's ever recorded. I started using "Twaits" as my handle on pretty much every forum I'm on.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedorgansforever View Post
    Thanks! I'm gonna check it out!
    Hey sorry its been a couple years since I've been here. The album came out, the singer got divorced, I got separated and life happened.
    But all is now good. Here is the iTunes link to The Ghosts Of Johnson City - The Devil's Gold which features my Geo. P Bent Crown Organ.
    I think the album is fantastic but I have a hard time listening to it because of the memories of that summer. It was the last summer in my life before everything changed. The change was positive in the end but still hard to listen to. But check it out if you are so inclined. We are all super proud of the work we did on it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/th...old/1201922040