Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel - black ??

fff Fortississimo Menschenstimme's Avatar

Stainless Steel - black ??

I have noticed that a fashionable trend in watches is black stainless steel.

Is the black color of the watch band permanently embedded within the stainless steel - or is there a possibility that the black may wear eventually, leaving silver-colored areas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)
    These are all surface coatings or treatments, electro-chemical, heat treatments, and even plasma-deposited ion bombardment for example, but underneath it is still shiny stainless steel.

Some are harder, more durable and even thicker than others, but given enough wear they are gone. The black does not go all the way through.
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

Thank you for your quick response. Here is an additional comment from someone (not a member of our Forum) who does not understand the process as well as you do: "It is PVD plated so should last permanently unless physically damaged."

Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)
    Ahhhhh, the key phrase here is "unless physically damaged." Of course, if it isn't scratched, then it isn't scratched.
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

Yes. However, methinks you said it best and most accurately thus: " . . . but given enough wear they are gone. The black does not go all the way through."

Interesting question. In my humble view stainless steel was never intended to be black or any other color than shiny smooth, natural and rust free. Beats me why some manufacturers choose to do this. Other metals such as aluminum (aluminium) or even mild steel or brass I can understand but stainless??
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

I have been wearing solid titanium watches since they came out. The first one was a matte gunmetal with a warm (brownish?) cast. The one I currently use looks exactly like stainless. So various patinas are possible on titanium. And that material doesn't scratch, with the benefit of being much lighter weight than stainless; So my big watch doesn't make me walk bent to one side.
    Casey

Yes indeed. If you cannot afford solid gold, then stainless or titanium are the only options. Nothing plated will last.
    I wonder why watches are not made of sterling silver? If worn daily and handled, silver tarnishes minimally. What causes silver to tarnish the most is having it sitting around doing nothing.

Solid gold is too soft to be of any use as a watch case. No idea about silver. Also rather soft but there are alloys that would work. Iridium could also work

By "solid gold" I did not mean pure 24K gold, but rather 14K or 18K. 18K might still be somewhat soft for a watch, but 14K should be sturdy enough. Normally, one would be somewhat gentle with a 14K or 18K watch. $$$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast