Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midi Sequencer Software

Midi Sequencer Software

Hi

For the passed 10 years I have been using Voyetra Midi Orchestra Plus software and always been very happy with it. However I recently bought a new computer which runs Windows 8.1 operating system, and needless to say the old Voyetra software (written in the mid 90's) will not run on it. So I am looking for some software to replace the old Voyetra software.

I have spent hours online trying to find something, but to no avail. I't seems there have been massive changes in technology over the past 10 to 15 year. Most software now seems to concentrate on creating audio tracks. I have no use for audio tracks, I need only midi as I use a stand alone sound module to produce all the GM sounds I need. I am looking for something that can sequence up to 16 tracks. I also recently bought a new keyboard and it came with Ableton Live Lite software, which I installed on my computer. I spent over 2 hours with and could not enter a single note into it, it's way too complicated for my needs.

Any help or advice as to a possible replacement for Voyetra Midi Orchestra Plus software would be much appreciated.

TIA

Eastman.

Have you looked at Notation Composer. They have a free 30 day trial.
    from notation.com

td

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have looked at Notation Composer and several other pieces of scorewriter software. As a piece of score writing software Notation Composer is excellent. However where Notation Composer and many other scorewriter programs fall down it that they only allow you to edit the score, not the midi data. I need to be able to access the midi data directly, in order to send all the setup data to my Orla Organ. First I need to send some system exclusive data to configure the organ. Then I need to send long strings of NRPN data to set up things like the ADSR envelope and drawbar settings for each voice.

Voyetra Midi Orchestra Plus allowed me to do this with little effort. I just put all the necessary set up data in the first bar of a composition, then play in the musical data starting in the second bar.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Look around for either MIDI editors if you really do want to be shackled by all the limitations that General MIDI imposes - only 16 tracks, old, 128 low quality (comparatively by today's standards!) sounds etc. There should still be a few around, perhaps even free.

If not, look at the entry level versions of the big names. I've been a Cubase user for as many years as it's been around, so I'd recommend Cubase Elements. Relatively cheap (82 in the UK), it will do all you want and also let you do things like record your MIDI tracks to audio directly, or even use a virtual GM synth, or loads of other virtual instruments. But beware, once you've gone 'virtual' you might not want to come back!

I can get people using it in less than an hour's lesson, so it's not hard. And you can do exactly the same as you did with Voyetra as far as all those bundles of Sysex data are concerned.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Krumet View Post
    First I need to send some system exclusive data to configure the organ. Then I need to send long strings of NRPN data to set up things like the ADSR envelope and drawbar settings for each voice.
    Anyone who can write the above can follow andyg's advice and learn how to use a modern program like Cubase. I don't personally use any kind of software, but if I did, it would likely be Cubase because of the things I have heard written about it. I am surrounded by talented people that simply will not let go of legacy technology and legacy software, some of it much older than the stuff you are using. You're darn right there have been "massive changes in technology over the last decade". I don't agree that it is way too complicated for someone as intelligent as yourself to master. Its just different.

H

Eastman,

Before you discard your old computer with its MIDI software, make sure you export all the music you want to keep as MIDI files so you can use them in the new software. I used Cakewalk 4.0, and have now lost all opportunity to use any of the sequenced files I created because they're all too old to convert now.

Most software programs save the files in their owns proprietary format. It's only over the last 25 years I FINALLY learned to save a MIDI copy along with the proprietary file. Needless to say, I'm a slow learner.

ProTools is the most well-known (and expensive) out there presently. I know Cakewalk has Sonar, but when I searched online, I found a site that listed Sibelius, MuseScore, and Finale as sequencers! They're notation software primarily for printing--not sequencing. Be sure the software you get has longevity (decades-worth), and is fairly well known, like Andy says.

Best of luck with Windows 8. I hope they've gotten the bugs worked out.

Michael

P.S. My first notation software was MusicWrite by Pyware. Anyone heard of that lately?!!!
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

I have Notation Composer as well. However, I have found that is better to clean up the raw MIDI files prior to loading them into Composer. To do that, I have been using great little editor you can find here: http://www.canato.se/midiyodi/my_download.html

Great user interface, easy to use and continuously updated. The author/developer really has done a great job here! It runs on Windows as well as Mac - $12.95!

Quote Originally Posted by aminnie View Post
    I have Notation Composer as well. However, I have found that is better to clean up the raw MIDI files prior to loading them into Composer. To do that, I have been using great little editor you can find here: http://www.canato.se/midiyodi/my_download.html
    Aminnie,

You had my hopes up for a minute or two. I know that when I record live sequences for performance reasons, the duration doesn't reflect that I had the sustain/damper pedal down (Controller). Rather, it reflects when I let up on the keys, thereby leaving a rather large gap I was hoping to fill using the editor you suggested. That way, the file could easily be entered into a notation program. Alas, one day it will be created, though.

In looking at the product, MidiYodi, I do wish they had used proper MIDI terminology. For example, volume=velocity, length=duration, etc. The Data column could have been split into its individual components (i.e. clicks, note, velocity, I presume). As it is, it makes it harder to edit for a person who knows traditional MIDI terminology. I do like the MIDI File Examiner, Keyboard Examiner, and Score Examiner views, though. Much nicer than what I currently have.

Thank you so much for the reference to the program, though.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Hi Michael,

If I follow your explanation, it would seem that you need software to track the sustain/damper command, collect all note off commands, and re-insert them as soon as the sustain/damper up is detected? And/or the device you use for MIDI playback does not honor your sustain/damper command? You should be able to do this with MidiYodi on a limited scale with manual deletes and adds, but for live performance data it would to much work to do manually?

I will keep an eye out for a solution that can do this...

Best Regards,

Anton

I need help with some basic basics of MIDI sequencing. Have had a gas laying down classical tracks with Cakewalk Sonar for several years and using hundreds of them in church, but still don't get some basics of the program eg how to play these classical organ tracks through the program's own synths, through Grand Orgue or even indeed through some other electronic keyboards. Tutorials and even the instructions a member of the Sonar forum kindly supplied me are Greek to me. Is there anybody here who can guide me some of it in real time, either via PMs here, email or phone? Can make it worth their while -- I know where lots of good repertoire and sounds are buried.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast