Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rodgers Trio questions...

Toodles
    thanks for the info. Tech support confirmed it was a 321 and had a 30500 and up tech manual PDF they sent me.

couple of questions if I may
    Manual says it can use a 145/147 leslie. How is the Trem/choral leslie speed selected? via a Stop? Is it all ranks or only Tibia?

With the conversion can it be done in stages and use a Pc with Hauptwerk first and still use stops and pistons and then add their engine in a second stage?

The Glockenspiel was an option? where did it fit?
    Thanks
    Sharyn

I don't have the 321 manual, but the 321A manual says the organ needs a 3-speed selector adapter to use the Leslie. Generally Rodgers only ran the Tibia through the Leslie.

The Artisan system uses their own sound engine, and not a PC with Hauptwerk. I am not knowledgeable about Hauptwerk systems. For Artisan, the first requirement is that the pedals, manuals and stops will need MIDI. Artisan sells encoder boards, others offer these too, and perhaps cheaper. That should leave the organ playable as is. After you have MIDI on the keys and stops you can add the Artisan sound engine.

If you want to do this with Hauptwerk, I suggest you post in the MIDI Devices and Software and Virtual Organs subforums.

The glockenspiel on the 321 Trio's was mounted in the console, under the lid.

For a MIDI encoder I'd look at something like the hwce2x-bundle #1 MIDI Encoder System from MIDI Boutique at $470 (380 Euros). The six input boards will handle three manuals, pedals, and all the pistons and tabs. The firm is very popular with HW users and I've used a number of their products when one of my own free designs isn't exactly what's needed. Someone with the technical skills could build my bus encoder with six input boards for a little less money but I don't sell encoders and don't offer much support as I'm retired from years of doing that.

Quote "Generally Rodgers only ran the Tibia through the Leslie."

True. On my 321, a separate Tibia output is included which has a hi-pass filter to keep the bass out of the Leslie.. Leslie switching is accomplished with the usual Leslie switch mounted just below the lower keyboard facia.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keeping (too many) old organs alive.
    Allen ADC 2110-T, Rodgers Trio 321B
    Conn 651, 713
    Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
    Hammond Solovox
    Mass-Rowe model 96 Carillon

If I use the Artisan boards in instead of clipping the wires close to the analog boards if i want to keep the analog and add midi where is the best place to add the new wire? Has any one done this or have they just converted to midi
    Sharyn

Hi Jepsound
    So i hooked up my leslie 145 to my 321. used the 6 pin cable in the 321 output leslie 6 pin inside the 321. powered the 145 which came up in slow speed
    Few things: on a standard hammond to leslie connection box in the organ there is a plug for the half moon switch??? I looked and could not see one??? 145 is ac switched relay fed to the 145 Is there a special Rodgers cable? that allows the switching that goes between the Rodgers 6 pin outlet and the cable going to the 145?
    SECOND question there is no audio from the 145. The 145 works fine connected to Hammond. The schematic I have shows switches to turn off sound with corillion the smalk circuit board on the output box in the 321 says leslie preamp on hammonds the feed of audio is closer to lower powered 10 watts or so amp. I have the load switch on the 145 to 0ohms

Is there possibly a box that Rodgers supplied that had the switch interface and some amplification between the preamp and the leslie 145 amp?

The box inside the 321 says Main Tibia And Leslie and has slider for seperate and mixed. Have it on mixed. my W6 100 plugged into main works fine

Any Ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Sharyn

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jepsound
    So i hooked up my leslie 145 to my 321. used the 6 pin cable in the 321 output leslie 6 pin inside the 321. powered the 145 which came up in slow speed
    Few things: on a standard hammond to leslie connection box in the organ there is a plug for the half moon switch??? I looked and could not see one??? 145 is ac switched relay fed to the 145 Is there a special Rodgers cable? that allows the switching that goes between the Rodgers 6 pin outlet and the cable going to the 145?
    SECOND question there is no audio from the 145. The 145 works fine connected to Hammond. The schematic I have shows switches to turn off sound with corillion the smalk circuit board on the output box in the 321 says leslie preamp on hammonds the feed of audio is closer to lower powered 10 watts or so amp. I have the load switch on the 145 to 0ohms

Is there possibly a box that Rodgers supplied that had the switch interface and some amplification between the preamp and the leslie 145 amp?

The box inside the 321 says Main Tibia And Leslie and has slider for seperate and mixed. Have it on mixed. my W6 100 plugged into main works fine

Any Ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Sharyn

Sharyn...

Mine is a 321B model. Don't know if your instrument is a B model. If not, there may be differences in the Leslie configuration. Also, mine was modified by the previous owner. I also think the Rodgers/Leslie may only be a single speed so the wiring would be different for a 145. The necessary pre-amp appears to be located on the 3-channel (Main, Tibia, Tibia-to-Leslie). I have no separate pre-amp and my Rodgers/Leslie connects directly to the Tibia-to-Leslie pre-amp output.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keeping (too many) old organs alive.
    Allen ADC 2110-T, Rodgers Trio 321B
    Conn 651, 713
    Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
    Hammond Solovox
    Mass-Rowe model 96 Carillon

1 members found this post helpful.
    The 321A manual says that a "Rodgers 147 3-Speed Leslie" adapter is required to use a Leslie 145 or 147.. It does not provide info on the adapter circuit.

Thanks my 321 manual does not have that in it but makes sense.

So in the 321 I have 30500 and up the leslie is NOT controlled by a traditional half moon leslie switch but by the stops. Echo off mutes the audio signal to the leslie. Echo vibrato controls the leslie speed. The carillion or harp does Not mute the leslie but changes the speed to slow on a two speed leslie. On a single speed it would stop instead of slow. The overall signal level is a bit low to the leslie. Typically a 145 or 147 is expecting a low wattage speaker level input. I am experimenting with adding a small booster amp between the 321 and the leslie. Slowly making progress
    Sharyn

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast