Thread: First Fanfare Suggestions

First Fanfare Suggestions

I am looking to learn my first fanfare..Any suggestions as to what I should look at? I am going to play easter Sunday and need something joyous and such, looking for suggestions, Thank youu!

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    I am looking to learn my first fanfare..Any suggestions as to what I should look at? I am going to play easter Sunday and need something joyous and such, looking for suggestions,
    Matty,

Welcome to the Forum. How about Donald Hustad's Praise My Soul, the King of Heaven, published by Hope Publishing Company. It is in a collection of hymn arrangements, I believe called The Complete Works of Donald Hustad, and may still be available.

Unfortunately, you didn't tell us the type of worship you will be playing for, so my response was for more Protestant denominations. For Catholic or Liturgical worship, perhaps Gordon Young's Cathedral Fanfare in Volume 2 (green). Sorry, but I cannot remember the name of the book. Has pipes on the front, though.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to the Forum.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

fff Fortississimo davidecasteel's Avatar

It might be helpful to know how long (duration) a piece is desired. When I hear "fanfare" it suggests to me a short introductory number principally used to wake everybody up and prepare them for what follows. I know our church organist (UMC) often uses an arrangement of "Christ the Lord Is Risen Today" with a fanfare introduction. Is that what you have in mind, or are you wanting something that is several minutes long? (One of my personal favorites of that type is Lang's "Tuba Tune". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKtS...eature=related )

David

It would be an episcopal service. I am wanting something a few minutes long, up to 10 minutes in fact is the time I will be playing and I can do somthing shorter or even two pieces. I like the Tuba Tune, I am looking for something super loud and bright, and somethign that will show off our great sounding reed pipes.

It sounds as if you might like Festiva, by Robert J. Hughes, published by Lorenz Publishing. It can be quite loud and majestic, with trumpet fanfare. Also, quite easy to play. It is available in their sacred organ collection, Thine is the Glory, from http://www.music44.com/Merchant2/mer...de=70%2F1032-Z
    Rick B.

Allen R-311D
    Baldwin Cinema II (214DR)
    Gulbransen Pacemaker
    Yamaha Clavinova CVP-209
    Nord C2 w/ PK27 pedals and Behringer K3000FX amp

fff Fortississimo davidecasteel's Avatar

I am afraid I know very little about American Fanfares (apart from a great Festive Trumpet Tune by David German) you might try Novello - Fanfares and Processionals. OUP also publish a very good book of ceremonial organ music.