Thread: Deoxit Gold?

ppp Pianississmo South Texas Jazz's Avatar

Deoxit Gold?

Hi all,</p>

I just purchased the deoxit 2-pack from radio shack. It comes with a small bottle of regular deoxit cleaner, as well as a bottle of deoxit gold. Do you all use the deoxit gold in addition to the regular stuff? </p>

Re: Deoxit Gold?

For my Hammonds, I use only Deoxit D5. It has a very subtle, non-corrosive lubricant in it that is perfect for squeaky drawbars, tabs, expression pedal joints, etc, and it wont harm the electronics or leave a residue. Great stuff!
    Tonewheels, frequency modulation, analog and digital circuits, tubes, strings, reeds, and tines. Too many keyboards.

I actually saw that two pack that you are talking about today. I took a look at it since it was the first time I have actually seen Deoxit in a store. I dont think either of the bottles in the two pack is really what you want. I mean the non gold bottle is good for cleaning but you will want a lubricant too. Just like Dave said, D5 is a lubricant and a cleaner and neither of the two Deoxit bottles in that two pack is a lubricant.

About the Deoxit Gold. It is for gold contacts. I am not sure if both parts of the drawbar contacts are gold. Therefore I am not sure if the gold is of any use to you. You definitely don't want to use the Deoxit Gold in your tube sockets.
    </P>

Since I couldnt find any Deoxit in my town, I went to Home Depot and bought CRC Contact Cleaner and CRC Contact Lubricant. It was kind of expensive because i had to buy two different bottles and the Contact Cleaner comes in a life time supply sized can.</P>
    My name is Steve and I am an organaholic

My Baby B3.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJCpoUI_Lk

The Goods
    B3 organ and Leslie 147, Fender Rhodes 88, Hohner Clavinet C, Moog MINIMOOOOOG, Arp Omni, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha CS50, Arp Pro/DGX, Prophet 08, Baldwin Digital, RE-201 Roland Space Echo

Spare stuff
    Super chopped M3, B2 w/ Trek II Perc, Govt. Issue CV (G), C2 w/ Trek II Perc, X25?, Modded CV3, BV, 1 stock M3, The Piper (lol), Leslie 31H, Leslie 125, two Leslie 145's

Look at this:</P>

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.I/id.22/.f
    Click on the link on the left for "Mentor Card Booklet 2010"</P>

this is the product instructions and description for all of the DeOxit products, it may answer your questions.
    I cannot be sure if the Gold productis beneficial or not to DB contacts...I have heard that these contacts are palladium; I am sure one of the experts can verify this.
    The Gold brochure does indicate that it is good for all non-ferrous and precious metal contacts.</P>

They are a little fuzzy on which products provide more or less lubrication, however. On this page:
    http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.I/id.66/.f
    they indicate that the D100 is used where maximum lubrication and minimum solvent is required. Personally, I use contact grease (100% silicone grease) after treating with the D100...DBars are still smooth and quiet after several years.</P>

I also have used the CRC contact cleaner, but be sure it is the QD (I think that's the right designation) formulation...our Home Depot has 2 different CRC contact cleaners. One of them is safe on plastic...the other will dissolve some plastic (speaking from experience) so test it first.</P>

Bob</P>
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.
    '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
    H-324/Series 10 TC
    '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
    Look at some of my rescues:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

I have seen deoxit at Grangers. You may have to find someone who has an account.</p>

Jim
    </p>