Thread: Re: How do I use my PC as a MIDI sequencer?

Re: How do I use my PC as a MIDI sequencer?

Just about every sequencer user has a favorite and will swear by it, as well as swearing AT the others! I've been using them for years, as well as teaching Music tech and reviewing software in the mags in the UK, so here's my two penny worth.

Check out Cubase SE. It will set you back a little more than the cheapies, sure, but it will work. You can get it to recognise all the four channels at once, and easily split what it records onto separate tracks for editing - if you need to, that is! Me- never.........(believe that if you like!) It will also let you save a template with all your settings.

I use its bigger brother, Cubase SX, with an old Yamaha organ as an input instrument and anything from Garritan Personal Orchestra to Native's B4 Hammond clone as output. It delivers the goods, which is all you really need.

Andy G
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Thanks Andy, for the tip. I have come across Cubase SE in my googling, sounds like a good program. I have not attempted editing yet, just tried to improve my playing so editing wasn't needed --fat chance! Upon reflection, it would be nice to be able to edit out and correct that occasional wrong note .

Gary
    Gary

Wurlitzer/Viscount C-380 3 manual with Conn pipes.

I use Cubase as well but at times think that for what I do, a less bells and whistles sequencer would be better.

Your best bet is to a get a REAL sequencer program (not share ware), then find someone who knows MIDI and sequencing inside out to come over and help you get acclimated to it. The editing is really as easy as clicking a wrong note and moving it. It is literally that easy.

As far as real sequencers go, Cubase is great. The cheapest version of Cakewalk would also be fine for you. It's the getting someone to help you out part that is the most valuable. Even if that costs you $50-75 to get a tech to come out. Once they show you what to do, you're set as you probably won't encounter a situation that you aren't prepared for.
    Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555
    Piano and organ videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CurtisBooksMusic