Thread: Allen T12A: Sliding Gang Switches on Pedal Division

Allen T12A: Sliding Gang Switches on Pedal Division

I'm repairinga 1965 Allen T12A organ owned by a talented-yet-broke 15 year old organist. Most of the work has been just cleaning and aligning switch contacts. My current problem is the 4-bank assembly of sliding gang switches for the pedal division, located on the bass-side of the cabinet floor. I suspect some dampness may have affected the organ, because these floor-mounted switches and the floor-mounted amplifier equipment on the treble-side are moderately corroded, signficantly more so than the rest of the organ. I've completely rebuilt the 4-bank assembly, but I'm not satisfied with the cleanliness of the grid of 32 wires that the whiskers on the circuit boards wipe against. The wires, even after multiple applications of DeoxIt and scrubbing with lense paper, are a mottled black color and roughness is apparent when gently sliding a toothpick down the wire. I reassembled the two rear boards (4' and 5-1/3') and tested. There were several notes that would only sound if I bumped the corresponding whisker with a pencil eraser. Assuming that Allen did not originally supply a small, now-AWOL troll with a pencil eraser, I suspect I need to clean those 32 wires a good bit more. I have a few questions about the cleaning work:</P>
    1. <LI>What are the wires made of?</LI>
      <LI>Are they solid or plated?</LI>
      <LI>Is it too extreme to use a bit of crocus cloth to gently scour the wire?</LI>
      <LI>Has anyone done a replacement of the wires, and if so, did you use a gold-plated copper wire? </LI>

Thank you very much for reading about my problem; any advice or experience you can relate will be very much appreciated!</P>

Dave</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Re: Allen T12A: Sliding Gang Switches on Pedal Division

Dave, I'd tend to suspect that if you can move the contact wire (whisker) and get the tone the problem is more related to positioning than the actual condition of the wire. It isn't unusual to have to bend contacts in older instruments like the T12.</P>

If you can get a visual of what happens to the wire when the pedal travel is normal, bend the the wire either up/down of sideways to meet the bus. If this isn't acceptable you might be ahead to rebuild with canabalized parts rather than try to renew what you have in the organ now.</P>

Very kind of you to help a young organist. We all applaud kindness like yours. Tell this protege to save a few bucks and move up from the T12 a little later. There are alot of great Allens still around from the 70's and 80's that aren't all that pricey.</P>

[quote user="OrgansR4Me"]

Dave, I'd tend to suspect that if you can move the contact wire (whisker) and get the tone the problem is more related to positioning than the actual condition of the wire. It isn't unusual to have to bend contacts in older instruments like the T12.</P>

If you can get a visual of what happens to the wire when the pedal travel is normal, bend the the wire either up/down of sideways to meet the bus. If this isn't acceptable you might be ahead to rebuild with canabalized parts rather than try to renew what you have in the organ now.</P>

[/quote]</P>

Yes, thanks, you were right! Several of the whisker wires were bent back just slightly: when the electromagnet engaged the gang switch those whiskers did touch the lower buss bars, but apparently with a light enough wiping action that they did not make reliable contact. I bent the whisker wires straight to match the others. While I had thepedal division switch apart,Idecided to go for a 100% cleaning on the 32 buss bars. I removed the bars and used "NevrDull" <FONT color=#008000>www.nevrdull.com</FONT> and scrubbed gently until the buss bars were shiny. I finished off with an application of Caig's Deoxit Shield for lubrication and sealing, and put the switch back together. It seems to be working fine; time will tell!</P>

The organ was otherwise in really quite nice shape; I think some dampness must have gotten into floor-level electrical equipment. The other gang switches were in first class shape. </P>

Is there a good source for canabalized parts somewhere?</P>

Thank you for the excellent advice, and the kind words as well. None of us got where we are without help along the way, eh?</P>

Best regards,</P>

Dave</P>

Great News, Dave. Thanks for letting us know. The best source of parts is on Ebay. With the high cost of transportation and sometimes almost no local interest in vintage organs, sadly many organs have to be parted for sale. You can target Allen specifically by using the Allen Organ search.</P>

Interestingly enough, I bought a 12 to part in support of an S15 once upon a time. The seller convinced me that one speaker in the gyro was bad and I could rewire to the speaker that is there for balance. Short story that was not correct or at least not the source of the sound failure in the gyro and a family member convinced me to trade both the 12 and 15 for a late model Hammond.</P>

I've had 4 more Allens since that time but none I treasure more than the 15. (The 15 has a little more voicing than the 12 so if you ever see one go for it!) The earlier organs are not a baroque as the digitals and that has worked well for me through the years since I'm not classically trained.</P>

Anyone interested in the service literature for the Analog Allens should visit an auction for the complete service portfolio at http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Organ-Co-S...3A1%7C294%3A50

That is a very good deal; presently at $10. Allen's Service Department in PA will sell a new set of analog organ service documents for $50, if any interested parties happen to miss out on this ebay auction.</P>

Dave</P>