Thread: Value of A100 Hammond Organ

Value of A100 Hammond Organ

My Father has an A100 Hammond Organ without the Leslie, purchased around 1960. He is now considering moving and may have to sell this organ due to the weight and size of it. We are from Ontario, Canada and are having a hard time getting it evaluated. Can anyone suggest how we may get this organ appraised? Any help would be very much appreciated.</P>

Re: Value of A100 Hammond Organ

Well, nobody else seems to be picking up on this one so I'll give it a go. For starters, I would strongly advise against obtaining anappraisal from an antiques dealer. Many people make the mistake of consulting antiques dealers on these vintage organs simply because they're old - but you really need a dedicated organ dealer,or perhaps a professional organ technician,to get a firm idea of the market value. Antiques dealers seem to try to evaluate them on the basis of age and cabinet condition alone (in other words, as if the organ were simply an antique furniture piece), and they almost invariably end up telling the poor owner that their 1972 Thomas Californian is worth $5000 - $6000! (which is absurd; such organs are typically given away or sent to the dump, because nobody wants them any more.) And calling a general music store for an appraisal would probably be an exercise in frustration - you might well get someone who has never seen an actual Hammond organ, much less know anything about the comparative value.</P>

But you're fortunate in that you've got one of the few old organs that's actually worth anything on the market. The A100 is identical to the famous Hammond B3 internally -- same tone generation, controls, features etc. -- except that it's built into a different cabinet with console audio, including reverb. Now, from what I've seen prices vary by region, but your A100 should be worth a minimum of $800 - you'd probably get a very quick sale if you price it at that amount. However, again depending on your area, you might get a lot more - perhaps double that amount, or just possibly even more, if it's a particularly well-preserved specimen. If you have the finished back piece, that adds value; also, you mention it was bought in c. 1960. This means it may be one of the early models with "necklace" style reverb springs - these early models also tend to go for a little more. (If you need to see pics of the finished back or the necklace reverb, post back.) But of course,there is an upper limit even to the really nice ones - for instance you may see ads for A100s offered at $3500 - $4500... but these never sell at those asking prices.On the other hand, adealership might be able to get that kind of money, but they've usually gone through and rebuilt amplifiers, etc. - so they can offer a warranty and some kind of service plan for the price.Butthe range for a private sale would be something like $800 - $1700 (US) from what I've seen; or maybe up to $1900 for a tip-top specimen with necklace reverb and finished back panel. Again, this is just from what I've seen personally.</P>

It also helps a lot if you can honestly state that the organ is in 100% working condition. So if it hasn't been oiled in awhile, oil it (again post back if you need help); and sit down and run through the keys, functions etc. Most tonewheel Hammonds run fine with very little attention; and even those that need work can often be brought back up to snuff with minimal effort. --Oh, and I almost forgot! - you didn't mention a Leslie, but if there's a Leslie speaker with it that's a whole different ballgame. Vintage Leslie models 122 can easily go for $1000-$1500 just by themselves; slightly less for a nice 147 or 251.</P>

Anyway hope this helps. Good luck with it-</P>

TD</P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

I concur with TD completely.
    Hammonds: A; AB; B3; D; E; 6-M3's; 2-A100; T582C.
    Leslies: 3-31H; 21H, 22H, 4-44W; 46W; 25; 47; 45; 125; 50C; 51; 55C; 2-120; 122; 122A; 145; 147; 245; 770; 825; 2-102; 2-103; 300.
    Wicks 2/5 pipe organ; Yamaha upright; Kurzweil Micro Piano & Micro B with M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha DGX520; Wurlitzer 4100 (it came with a Leslie!). Peavey KB100 keyboard amp. Peavey Bass Guitar. Yes, I have A. D. (acquisition disorder) and don't want it cured.

Hello neighbour! Where are you located in Ontario? Perhapsyou shouldPM me.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

a lot of it depends on the current market. </p>

I bought mine , a '59, a couple of years ago, just outside of Edmonton, for $450. It was basically mint.</p>

Someone in Calgary a year or so ago was advertising one for sale for $2500. A few months later, $2000. A few months later, $1500. I assume it sold for close to that, or the seller decided to keep it for now.</p>

It's about finding the right buyer at the right time I think. On the upside, what a fantastic organ they are.
    </p>
    - Don
    '60 A100 - '62 Leslie 45
    '47 CV - MS Pro3T
    Nord Electro 2 73
    MAudio Prokeys 88SX

[quote user="dwagar"]

a lot of it depends on the current market. </p>

I bought mine , a '59, a couple of years ago, just outside of Edmonton, for $450. It was basically mint.</p>

Someone in Calgary a year or so ago was advertising one for sale for $2500. A few months later, $2000. A few months later, $1500. I assume it sold for close to that, or the seller decided to keep it for now.</p>

It's about finding the right buyer at the right time I think. On the upside, what a fantastic organ they are.
    </p>

[/quote]
    </p>

</p>

Damn!!!</p>

I would give you 451$ right now and would rent a van to drive from Montreal to Edmonton just to come and get it... [] And that's even if the organ was in bad shape...
    </p>

</p>

This seller really had no clue what it was worth...
    </p>

yeah, that was an outstanding deal. But, the guy was out in the boonies, so I bought it sight unseen (a bit of risk there), paid a moving co $200 to get it to a friend's place in Edmonton, then drove up and picked it up. Being that he was way out, his potential market was real small. Maybe just me, lol.</p>

Barely a scratch on it, recently serviced, bench and pedals included. Only played in the home. A100s can be one hell of a good deal. But even in a city, the market IS pretty small for Hammonds. If you want to sell it, you have to price it to SELL.
    </p>
    - Don
    '60 A100 - '62 Leslie 45
    '47 CV - MS Pro3T
    Nord Electro 2 73
    MAudio Prokeys 88SX

I'am going to look at a A100 with Leslie, completely rebuilt, by a hammond dealer, offering a 1 year warranty, for 4000.00 to me this seems OK, compared to B3 prices, they are crazy!! But what do or should I look for when I go check this out monday? looks great in the pic's, I offered 3500. cash and he said they would loose money at that, they dropped price from 4900. already, what about a nord instead??

Quote Originally Posted by 601blues View Post
    I'am going to look at a A100 with Leslie, completely rebuilt, by a hammond dealer, offering a 1 year warranty, for 4000.00 to me this seems OK, compared to B3 prices, they are crazy!! But what do or should I look for when I go check this out monday? looks great in the pic's, I offered 3500. cash and he said they would loose money at that, they dropped price from 4900. already, what about a nord instead??
    This thread was pretty old before revival!
    I see your interest though. IMO that seems steep, I would hold out for a better deal.
    Depends on the Leslie model #.
    Patience is your friend, you will find something locally.
    For $4k you should be getting a B3! Check ebay prices
    In your instance, the dealer is charging for the warranty and who knows how much shop time (possibly @$100+/hr.).
    Maybe if it's worth the piece of mind, but fixing these things is half the fun.
    Once they are dialed in, Hammonds rarely need anything but oil (and maybe tubes every couple years)!
    1936 Model A/122rv Leslie
    1954 C2/JR20/Leslie 145 (I've been swapping a 122 amp in and out and loving it)
    1958 S-6
    1961 A-102/Leslie 351/31W
    1964 A-102/122rv Leslie
    Custom 145 JBL 2220A & LE100S driver sold but still rockin' close to home
    Rhodes 73 sold, but still in the family 2 1958 M3s, 1953 C2(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 601blues View Post
    That price seems excessive, but I do enjoy working on a Hammond once in a while. I'd be surprise if a dealer around here would get that price but I do think that a refurbished A100 is worth much more than one that has been barely touched. Not everyone wants to work on Hammonds, some people just want a reliable organ to play. Still, that price seems high.
    When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.