Thread: Ahlborn Galanti Model SL 250

Ahlborn Galanti Model SL 250

You guys have been kind notwithstanding my basic ignorance to say nothing of the nuances regarding the purchase of an organ. I have no specific budget but would like not to spend more than $5,000 and may decided on something $500 or less. But this is my first question: on ebay in the last week or so an Ahlborn Galan ti Model SL 250 was listed; it received a number of bids and the highest price was $619: this sum did not meet the reserve. Another one or two have been located on Craigslist. So my obvious question is: what is this organ worth? Second, can some one compare and contrast its sound to the sound of a 2008 Allen, Rodgers, Lowery, etc with cutting edge technology? Who besides those of you who are professinal organist would be aware of the difference? Lastly, this seemingly is a classic organ with I assume an European sound and if I were to become interested in playing pop music would this instrument be suitable.. or is there complementary technology which would act seemless with this instrument? Thank you in advance for your opinions.. Tennessee HIllbilly

Re: Ahlborn Galanti Model SL 250

Tennessee HIllbilly,</p>

If you want to play popular music as well as some classical and/or church music, I might suggest looking at the Roland Atelier AT-90, AT-90R, AT-90S, AT-90SL, or AT-900. (The AT-900 is the current production model.) These have Hammond-like flute tones, theatre tones, and classical organ sounds. In addition, you will get realistic orchestral voices like trumpet, oboe, violin, strings, etc. However, these only have a flat 25-note pedalboard and are not to AGO (American Guild of Organist) specifications. If you do not need the the "full" pedalboard of a console organ, you might also consider the AT-60 or AT-80 series of Roland Ateliers. If you buy used, you may be able to stay under or at your maximum of $5,000. However, even then it may be hard. There are three Ateliers list here on ebay--two of them have starting bids under your $5000 price.
    </p>

Please note that am NOT affiliated in anyway with the Roland Corporation. I am just a satisfied customer.</p>

I hope this helps,</p>

Allen
    </p>
    Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

Allen</P>

Thank you for your insight and specific suggestions. Given the present economy I am proceeding cautiously. Were I to decide that popular music is not a concern, would you still opt for the Roland?</P>

Again thank you</P>

Tennhillbilly</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

If you want to play "real" organ music on a budget, I would suggest looking for the best second-hand Allen you can afford, preferably an ADC or later model (i.e., mid 1980s or newer). But you also want a full 32-note, AGO pedalboard. While most Allens have this, there are a few smaller Allens out there with the "Princess" pedalboard. I suggest that you avoid this Princess pedalboard. Hope this helps and good luck!

Get a Phoenix organ. They are wonderful!

Tennhillbilly,</p>

If you are a classically trained organist and only want to play classical music, the Roland is <u>not</u> the way to go. As mentioned in my previous post, the pedalboard is not AGO--it is a flat 25-note radiating pedalboard. The top manual is only 56 keys, not the standard 61. The bottom octave is missing but it does go up to G, a fifth above where the standard 61-note keyboard stops. The bottom manual is 76-keys so that it can also be played as a digital piano. There is a dedicated damper pedal for this.</p>

However, the Roland meets my needs. I am not a classically trained organist and am mostly a left-foot pedaler. I play hymns and older popular music. (I am organist at my church.) The Roland does a good imitation of a pipe organ, both classical and theatre. The samples used are from Rodgers, which is owned by the Roland Corportaion.</p>

The organist Hector Olivera plays the Roland organs. There are some videos of him playing a Roland on youtube.</p>

Also, if you want to get an idea of some of the features and sounds of the Roland, check the Roland website. The have video demonstrations of the current models. However, if you buy a used instrument, you may not get all the features mentioned. Here is a link to the AT-900 on Roland's website. Click on video to see the videos.
    </p>

Later,</p>

Allen
    </p>

[quote user="Tennhillbilly"]</p>

Allen</p>

Thank you for your insight and specific suggestions. Given the present economy I am proceeding cautiously. Were I to decide that popular music is not a concern, would you still opt for the Roland?</p>

Again thank you</p>

Tennhillbilly</p>
    <p mce_keep="true"></p>
    <p mce_keep="true"></p>
    <p mce_keep="true"></p>
    <p mce_keep="true"></p>[/quote]
    Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

Thanks to all of you and your pleasure with the instruments you have purchased is obvious. Since I am just starting organ lessons I will never rise to a classical musician but I look forward to the journey. </P>

Tennhillbilly</P>

Hi,</p>

As one who used to sell and install this model, I kinda know what this organ has and can do.</p>

The Ahlborn SL-250 is the baby of the previous line of classical organs from GeneralMusic. I believe it went out of production about 4 years ago.</p>

This particular model, does have a European style sound (think German). The organ was meant to be sold the way it came out of the box. As such it wasn't the greatest sounding organ in the world.</p>

However, if one got creative, and re-voiced the organ (using the interactive programmer and RF receiver from the Chronicler Series organs), and changed some components on the mixer board, the organ could sound very, very good. In several cases, I reworked the external audio, to 6 channels out, and put on a decent external audio, and this organ sounded more like something that should have cost 2 or 3 times the amount that was paid for it.</p>

In other words, if it is an organ that was straight out of the box, it is rather ho-hum. If worked on, could be very good.</p>

Compared to the entry level ( assuming sold competitively) Allen and Rodgers, it sounded better than either, even out of the box. </p>

The organ did have a budget appearance, with the vinyl wood grain finish. The early ones had very poor quality viynl material, the ones after about 1999 were much better.</p>

Limitations with the instrument? -- the manual stops had only 8 note polyphony, not necessarily terrible, but for bigger organ works could present problems. Also the MIDI implementation was not great, if you want to play using MIDI sound modules, other than the Ahlborn Archive sound modules.</p>

How much is it worth? I suppose a recent vintage one may go for as much as $5,000. Older ones probably closer to $2,500. The organ is generally reliable, and technical support is available for them.</p>

AV
    </p>

</p>

[quote user="Greg"]Get a Phoenix organ. They are wonderful!
    [/quote]</P>

Can you get a Phoenix organ for $5000 or less? $5000 was the max he wants to spend.</P>