Thread: Conn Question

Conn Question

Hi everyone , I'm trying to find some info on a Conn speaker cabinet that I came across . I play guitar and have heard the cabinets with the Leslie tremlo unit sound great . Before I figure out how to convert this for my guitar use I was wanting to know more about this cabinet so here's some info I got from inside the cab . </P>

On the Leslie tremlo unit paper this # is at the top - N070545 - 003 The other # at the bottom was the 08 70 I mentioned above.
    On the speaker it says - Conn custom speaker by Cletron , the #'s on the speaker are L056495 002 and 433306
    The metal plate on the cabinet says Model # 255 serial # 203382 Amp # 71949 - 110 watts</P>

Is the model # to the Leslie unit in that set of #'s N070545 ? </P>

Is the 08 70 mean it was made in 1970 ?</P>

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am ready to get started working on this. Thanks again. </P>

</P>

Re: Conn Question

You have a Conn Model 255 speaker cabinet. As far as I can tell it was designed to be used as part of a pair - either with a 256 cabinet, or with a set of Conn pipe speakers (either of which would "piggy-back" off the amp in the 255). It has a 4-channel amplifier, relays, a 15" speaker, and a 2-speed Leslie assembly. 40 watts per channel. The 255 itself would carry 2 channels of sound; the other 2 chanels wouldgo to either the pipe set or the 256 by a cable (if all 4 were used - depends on the organ).</P>

I'm consulting my book called "guide to better organ installations in churches and auditoriums" published by Conn Organ Corporation. I do have some schematics and other info in here; Conns are not my area of expertise though so I can't give you any pointers as far as converting it to guitar use. Send me a PM and I'll send you some scanned info - just give me some time to scan; gotta get back to thekids coming to the house for Halloween...</P>

-jim</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    Jimmy Williams
    Hobbyist (organist/technician)
    Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204
    Farfisa Compact / Leslie 860 and Combo Preamp III / Hammond Porta-B

I scanned the info you need - send me a PM and I'll e-mail to you. Please note that the 255 cabinet has an 8" Leslie speaker and a 15" bass speaker. From what I can gather you would have to split your guitar input to channels 1 and 4 (or just use channel 1??). Channels 2 and 3 appear to output directly to the socket that the 256 or pipe speaker would plug into. I'll leave it up to you to make heads or tails out of the schematic. I don't know if it would be safe to leave channels 2/3 just hanging out there without some sort of dummy load. Don't get tempted to wire all the amp channels together since it that will probably drive more watts into the speakers than they are designed to handle - well just my opinion; if you find high-wattage speakers that may be something to consider so you don't waste 2 40-watt channels. Also it looks like channel 1 has the necessary crossover circuitry to keep the lows going to the 15" stationary. Again - please note that Conns are not my area of expertise so maybe some of the Conn guys here can give you better guidance. Just keep in mind that you are trying to use this cabinet for something it was never designedfor - you might even have to pre-amp your guitar since organs usually operate at a higher line-level than a passive guitar. Also, I don't exactly know how you would control the Leslie motor/relay speed switching; that was usually done from the organ console - you might have to rig up some sort of switcher for that too. This project could be fun, could be a pain....take your pick. Good luck!</P>

-jim</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    Jimmy Williams
    Hobbyist (organist/technician)
    Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204
    Farfisa Compact / Leslie 860 and Combo Preamp III / Hammond Porta-B

Thanks for the info Jimmy, much appreciated . Yes , this will certainly be an interesting and time consuming project but I'll just take it one day at a time. My e-mail is guitarmanxxxx@aol.com Thanks again Jimmy .