Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cameron Carpenter

Cameron Carpenter

FYI, Cameron Carpenter is featured on this weeks edition of Pipedreams on American Public Radio. Go to APR to listen to the show.

Re: Cameron Carpenter

A great program. I'm listening to it now.</P>

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2008/0837/</P>

Re:its a bird..its a plane...its CAM eroon CARP enter

Re: Re:its a bird..its a plane...its CAM eroon CARP enter

I hate to be the devil's advocate but I found the program on sunday rather unbearable. I just cannot stand CC's improvisations and original works. Just about the only decent piece was the mariners tune. </P>

Why didn't he use a conventional instrument? I grow weary of microchip gimmicks and audiophool speakers. I want pipes, not some farcical aquatic ceremony! Why, if I went around to every church and convention hall touting a Hammond Cadette, they'd put me away!</P>

I am also quite baffled at his drawing from anime. He's only five years older than me, so anime is within my generation. I have a lot of friends who like it. Some who even did it throughout graphic design school (even my best friend since the 4th grade did this), but anime is simply ach! It is simply unoriginal and tasteless art from a visual standpoint. The scripts are often filled with mindless babble that reads and sounds awkward in fashion. The music is a dreadful and painful rash of abject modernism,a fermenting casserole of western and Eastern pop.Furthermore,anime is a festering boil of perverse chauvanism, poor grammar and bad taste.It is a mass-produced, pop-inflicted pile of reprehensible drivel. It isdeprived of artistic, dramatic and musical culture and taste. </P>

It pains me to see someone five years my elder finding an interest in anime. It means to me that five years later I will still bear the burden of hearing my friends speak of it. I sincerely hope that CC is simply someone who hasn't grown up. </P>

On alighter note, I wonder what I can look forward to next week on pipe dreams?</P>

Why didn't he use a conventional instrument? I grow weary of microchip
    gimmicks and audiophool speakers. I want pipes, not some farcical
    aquatic ceremony! Why, if I went around to every church and convention
    hall touting a Hammond Cadette, they'd put me away!
    </p>

To be fair, those electronic organs are far better and more suited than any Hammond organ in those venues and situations. Mr Carpenter is only following a tradition of virtuoso organists including Carlo Curly, Diane Bish &amp; Virgil Fox showcasing various digital organs on their performing tours.</p>

As to the Anime, I know people in their thirties who are still into this stuff and is it that different to people in their 40's and 50's who are collecting DC comics?
    </p>

Personally, I am glad there are 'mavericks' and performers who like to stand out from the norm. How dull and boring it would be if everyone in the organ world was the same, playing the same stuff, doing the same thing...
    </p>

[quote user="Greg"] Mr Carpenter is only following a tradition of virtuoso organists including Carlo Curly, Diane Bish &amp; Virgil Fox showcasing various digital organs on their performing tours.[/quote]</P>

Hey Greg! Your forgot Miss Hewitt:Savior of the Organ World![:$]</P>

Not sure if VirgilFox ever had a 'digital' organ; but the offensive contraption heplayed,to this day has left me with an irreparableunrelenting disgust foranythingRogers which hasnow continued for4 decades!It has only been a year or two, thanx to Youtube,since Iwas confronted with evidencethat Virgil was a truly great organist!! Too bad he was impelled to squander hisgenius on that abysmal Rogerselectronik squawk box!! He must have hated it every bit as much as his audience! []</P>

From mylimited exposure to Cameron, I am somewhat less than impressed with everything I've heard him play. Hisanticsare obviously directed at not only anon-organist, but a non-musical audience! His fancy footwork gymnastics are merely just that: Fancy footwork gymnastics; but they are not at all musical!! [:|]</P>

Do I really care about what other "organists" do?? For the most part: Nope! I have a basement full of organ LPs from a formative forgone era,which are animportant part of who I am today.</P>

Idon't have any kind of hifi system in my house beyond the speakers attached to my computer; and for the most part, I'm not intenselyinterested in what other organists do!!</P>
    2008: Phoenix III/44

After40+ years of married life,my wife hasn'thesitated toharp at
    meover some of the crappy organs we have been subjected to over the
    years. But then, along comes a PHOENIX! . . . .
    </p>

To be fair, if we are getting down to the nuts and bolts, even the wonderful super-dooper Phoenix Organ is a crappy electro-squeeze box compared to the real McCoy, a pipe organ.
    </p>

virgil had a 4m allen digital with 11 computers and i have played it at length in its current location in nyc and it is magnificent