Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Favorite A.S. Organ You've Played...

Re: Favorite A.S. Organ You've Played...

[quote user="soubasse32"]

[quote user="mpsnknox"]I have no doubt that after the rebuild the organ will still represent its AS heritage.[/quote]Well, if the only Diapason is being rescaled and the mixtures are all being replaced, it will no longer represent the ideals of A-S at the time of Whiteford. It will mutate into something completely different,neither fish nor fowl.

Don't get me wrong - I did say that Whiteford organs are not my cup of tea; I can imagine how difficult it must be to play a service on this instrument. I also know that a church with an active music program has very highexpectations and should have a flexible instrument.

But in a way it is sad that such an iconic instrument will end up sounding more or less likeother modern instruments; a unique instrument ends up being a little bit less unique. If every generation felt they wanted to rebuild it, even less would remain.

I guess I'm just very conservative when it comes to this subject. But oncean organis changed, there's no going back...

[/quote]

Well the mixtures are not all being replaced... just one or two. The swell mixture is in essence a 2' mixture but the bottom octave isn't there. However this mixture is 5 ranks which makes it sound higher pitched than the 4 rank mixture on the great. I think they should put it on a new chest with the bottom octave filled out, maybe add another high pitch rank on it, and divided it up so it can play at either 3 ranks or 6. Thats just my opinion tho.

And who knows... with the rebuild this organ might become an even greater "icon" for future generations of Orlandonians (I think thats what you would call someone from Orlando..hehe) Mixing the best of yesterday and today. Think of all the rebuilds of Skinner organs that Harrison did... Actually some of the "new" ranks are from 30's and 20's Skinner and Casavant organs.... so they are litteraly mixing some of the best from several generations.

At any rate it keeps our Organ building industry alive and thats a good thing.

Re: Favorite A.S. Organ You've Played...

Here find a few really nice ones....

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...er&search_type=

I have played many Aeolian-Skinner instruments (including two degree recitals at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor), but two favorites are (or, more accurately, were) in Missouri: The Auditorium in Independence and Christ Church Cathedral in St. Louis. I have heard that every pipe in both instruments has been revoiced since A-S went belly up. That's hard to understand, since both instruments in their original form were elegant and completely satisfying.

The Flauto Mirabilis at St John The Divine is actually a 1910 Clarabella. In the pedal there is a Flauto Mirabilis named otherwise from a 1928 Skinner added during the 1950s A-S rebuild.
    The organ at Girard College is the last Skinner Organ Company opus before the Aeolian-Skinner name took effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphone View Post
    I have played many Aeolian-Skinner instruments (including two degree recitals at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor), but two favorites are (or, more accurately, were) in Missouri: The Auditorium in Independence and Christ Church Cathedral in St. Louis. I have heard that every pipe in both instruments has been revoiced since A-S went belly up. That's hard to understand, since both instruments in their original form were elegant and completely satisfying.
    Not so. At Independence the late Dr Obetz saw the need to have the entire organ revoiced by an Aeolian-Skinner former head flue voicer.
    At Christ Church Cathedral the pedal Contrabass had the beards put back on that had been removed previously by Donald Gillett.

I have played the Aeolian-Skinners at First Presbyterian-Kilgore,Tx; First Baptist-Longview,Tx and St Marks Cathedral-Shreveport,La. among others. THE BEST was(is) First Presbyterian-Kilgore,Tx.
    Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx

Quote Originally Posted by pictureroll View Post
    I have played the Aeolian-Skinners at First Presbyterian-Kilgore,Tx; First Baptist-Longview,Tx and St Marks Cathedral-Shreveport,La. among others. THE BEST was(is) First Presbyterian-Kilgore,Tx.
    In the 1960s rebuild at Kilgore a certain perfection was achieved. Harmonic Spitzflotes among other improvements.In the 1949 work A-S removed some 70-scale Pilcher Salicionals from around 1932 and they ended up in the Choir division at Riverside Church in NYC in 19554-55 as ''Dulcet II 8' pitch.''

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pictureroll View Post
    In the 1960s rebuild at Kilgore a certain perfection was achieved. Harmonic Spitzflotes among other improvements.In the 1949 work A-S removed some 70-scale Pilcher Salicionals from around 1932 and they ended up in the Choir division at Riverside Church in NYC in 1954-55 as ''Dulcet II 8' pitch.''

In a nearby town of Swampscott, MA, there is an 1983 installation under the Aeolian-Skinner name. The pipework was voiced by John Hendricksen and used a supply house console, chests and reservoirs.

Here is a link to the Organ Society listing: http://database.organsociety.org/Sin...?OrganID=52051

Hendriksen not Hendricksen. He finished his last job officially last year for Eugene Blackstone MD in Ohio; voiced most of the flues and participated in the tonal finishing of the reeds with the principal of Trivo Co, Joe Clipp. Others had a big share in the good work as well.That organ is a IV-136 and very much along Aeolian-Skinner lines.

http://www.blackstoneorgan.org/

Recordings of the original instrument recently became available!

2-CD Set Aeolian-Skinner: The King of Instruments AS315 and AS316 Catharine Crozier Playing the RLDS Auditorium Organ Independence, Missouri

http://www.easttexaspipeorganfestiva...iofinas31.html

Bethel Knoche, Catharine Crozier and Harold Gleason were primarily responsible for the finish on the G. Donald Harrison design.

fyi, I just started to build a photo album about the instrument that is available to view under my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphone View Post
    ... two favorites are (or, more accurately, were) in Missouri: The Auditorium in Independence and Christ Church Cathedral in St. Louis...
    I have played the one at Christ Church, maybe six or eight years ago. It is a very fine instrument, but I didn't have enough time to explore it properly. I am fond of the one at Independence as well, having heard it several times but not played it.

The only other A-S I have played was Covenant Presbyterian in Charlotte, back when Richard and Betty Peek were there; i played a recital on their Sunday afternoon concert series, sometime in the late 90's, I think. It was the first (and just about the only) really large instrument I have had opportunity to play in public. I see from the OHS database that it has been renovated since then, but I can't tell if they made tonal changes. It was terrific, and I hope that it still is.
    http://database.organsociety.org/OrganDetails.php?OrganID=19358

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567