Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trumpet en chamade

Trumpet en chamade

Most new organs, even small instruments, have an assertive trumpet en chamade. This is a relatively new fashion in organ design and was not used in the past except for Spanish organs. Why has it become fashionable to included such a stop which can only be used infrequently? Note that the same fashion is in vogue in the theatre organ world in adding a post horn (loud assertive trumpet) to original instruments.

What do others think about this new fashion? It seems that this type of sound was not needed for most of the history of the organ but is a necessity now.

Re: Trumpet en chamade

BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL!!!!!!!! Haha! I really dont know. At a collage near me there is an organ that has a full lenth 8 foot trumpet EC and It has a wounderful sound

Because it is a fun luxury stop such as Chimes, Zimbelstern, 32's, Grand Cornets, etc. We have a vertical Festival Trumpet at church on 10-inches of wind. It also combines well with the Great Trompete to simulatea Tuba.

As Livia Augusta said to Martina: "It's wind."

[]

Could be to some extent "life imitating art" in the sense of pipe organs picking up on a trend that started with electronics.

Starting about 1980 or so, Rodgers began to feature a "Festival Trumpet" on all but the smallest organs. Allen offered a Card Reader Spanish Trumpet, andthe larger models of theold MOS organs often had atab marked "En Chamade" that switched one of the channels into a bellowing high-efficiency speaker that made the reeds blow you away.

Obviously this isn't terribly expensive to do on an electronic.On the old analogs it only requiredan additional reed voice circuit piggy-backed on to the existing 8' pulse keyer. Even easier with digitals, you only need an appropriate sample. For best effect, of course, with either technology, a separate amp and speaker are nice but not essential.

This crop of electronic festival trumpetsdrew renewedattention to the horizontal exposed trumpets that some pipe builders hadalways offered, making the stop more popular, and buyers felt the need to ask for it, even in modest instruments, as you say.

But, aren't they awesome!Certainly an organ should first of all have a full complement of the standard stops, but if money and space permit, why not an en chamade? Sure is a crowd-pleaser.

John

John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 ........ at last!
    Home: Allen MADC-420 ...........finally!
    Shop: More organs than I can count.... some working, many not!
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Hi Allen...Well, a theatre organ needs a Post Horn once it gets over twelve ranks, or so. It's another tasty solo stop that's great for Baritone solos, riffs in the brass section. The Atlanta Fox has the most awesome 16' pedal post horn...it leaves the audience just breathless! Wow, I can hear it thundering across that 1/2 square block right now~!

Same can be said of Trumpets en-chamade, Festival Trumpets, etc.

But they must be used with intelligence, and good taste. I have a friend down in Florida that only uses his en-chamade in a phrase of music, here and there. Such restraint leaves one wanting more. Talk about going to church for the music! On the other hand, I have a client that lays down on his Festival Trumpet with all ten fingers every time he gets up to full organ. It's a killer on everybodys ears, and I'm quite sure that many people have left that church and gone else where because of his loud playing.

Something of a legend that accompanies the Wurlitzer Publix Special (a 4 manual, 20 rank organ), designed by Jesse Crawford....when asked, "why not a Post Horn on such a large instrument?"; Crawford was quoted as saying...."so the organist of that theatre won't abuse the audience with it".

If you go for the early music, especially the Spanish, English, it's really fun to use. Agincourt Hymn is awesome totally on the Trompette en Chamade; Not to mention all the Baroque 'trumpet tunes' by Clark, etc. One of my Galanti boxes has 'Festival Trumpet' it's much more shrill than the 'trumpet' sample and really does the job. I like to play Pachelbel's 'Ciacona in f", which has a variation with a very 'royal' theme, I always use it there also. Before the internet (what?) it was harder tofind and get early music, that is for the average joe like me;these days it's really not and so much of it is public domain and posted free. With more of the old Spanish works and other trumpet laden scores easily found, that Trumpet en Chamade today can be used more.

Jess

Portland

Jesse Hargus
    Portland, OR

[quote user="AllanP"]What do others think about this new fashion? It seems that this type of sound was not needed for most of the history of the organ but is a necessity now.[/quote]

This is not at all a new thing!

As you mentioned, the concept seems to have started in Spain. From the onlineEncyclopedia of Organ Stops:The earliest documented example of external horizontal reeds is in the 1588 organ by Gaspar Martin in the Cathedral of Huesca, Spain. It goes on to say that the first use of the term Trompette-en-chamade was by the builder Isnard at St-Maximin in 1772.

Of course, a number of significant Cavaillé-Coll organs contained these stops, so one could argue thatChamades have continued in France from the eighteenth century (from Isnard) right up through the present day.

It is said that the Trompette-en-chamade in the Aeolian-Skinner at Kilgore, Texas was the first modern example (1948)but I have also heardof aMurray Harris organ (early 1900's) that contains (contained?) an original example. I cannot confirm that.

I find a Trompette-en-chamade to be a nice stop if the following conditions are met:

1. The organ must already be complete, with a good compliment of normal chorus reed stops.

2. The room must be large.

3. The chamade must be installed far away from the listeners and the organist.

4. The scale should be large enough and the voicing meticulous, so it does not sound like a quacking duck.[^o)]

5. It should be in tune, and easy to tune and service.

6. It should not be so loud as to obliterate absolutely everything else.

7. The organist should exercise restraint - less is always more. []

One quibble - I advise against mixing the terms "Trumpet" and "Chamade" - try instead "Trompette-en-chamade", which is how the French would spell it. [8-|]

World renowned organ expert Pierre Lauwers of the Walcker firm explains that C-C used these sparingly when accoustical reasons required . Apparently had something to do with getting the sound out as opposed to starting or continuing a fashion. Vierne wanted some in 1932 at Notre Dame but none came till circa 1965 by Boissou and they aint that good. The 1992 ones are far better.

The first horizontal USA application is the 4ft clarion at Atlantic City in the Fanfare ceiling division and the pipes are of enormous scale and pointed into the angles ceiling grille and bolted to the chest lest one should become a torpedo and are on 50'' wind and date to circa 1930-31.

barnes has a graph in his book on organs and shows that the chamade placement generates over 100 additional harmonics than a vertical trumpet position. I have experimented with a single harmonic trumpet pipe in the two positions and surely the horizontal has a percussive effect on the aer lacking in the vertical.

Every church needs a PARTY HORN.[Y][B]

ACC build "french-speaking" organs, with very special, french reeds,
    and a great deal of spanish influence (Late-Baroque, the Jordi Bosch
    period) . His mother was spanish and his family often worked
    in spanish organs.
    Besides this, read "Romantic mixtures" on my english forum.

Pierre

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast