Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawbar registrations for rock music

Drawbar registrations for rock music

I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death already! I've found a lot of information on Jazz drawbar registrations (Jimmy Smith, etc.) and a few "classic rock" sounds (Procol Harum, Steve Winwood, Booker T., etc.). But I haven't found a lot of info on more usable rock sounds that aren't necessarily "signature" sounds from organ-driven songs like those above.</p>

I'm looking to find stuff like what Rami Jaffee does with The Wallflowers, Benmont Tench with Tom Petty, or Chuck Leavell with the Stones recently. Does anyone have some ideas? Forgive my newbie language: To me, it sounds like they use a one-drawbar sound a lot, a lot of the white drawbars and not a lot of bass (brown). The dissonant (black) drawbars are still kind of a mystery to me...</p>

Re: Drawbar registrations for rock music

<div><br class="webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>A good rock foundation usually has 888800000 as a base, and then add in brightness to taste. Honestly, it's more than just the drawbars at work. What kind of tone cabinet you use, Leslie, Marshall, Premier, Vox, etc.*</div><div>Then you have all the preamp loops points to consider, like Ring Modulators, Overdrives, Moog Synthesizers, etc. </div><div>And after that, where you place the microphones can have a big impact as well. </div><div>*</div><div>*Signature sounds aren't always "plug and play", in fact, they rarely ever are. It's all about experimentation.*</div><div>*</div><div>*</div><div>*</div>
    ~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~

The kind of sounds I'm talking about don't seem to have anything on the first two drawbars at all, that would be too heavy. I'm looking for lighter sounds that will stand out in a mix, in songs that aren't necessarily organ-driven. I don't know if I'm explaining this well...

I get where you're going. There just isn't one recipe for the right setting though. Take the Wallflowers "One Headlight", that uses just the eight-foot drawbar with a fast leslie. Lots of other stuff uses 888000000. Benmont Tench is a texture guy, he would never say "use this or use that." It depends on the song. You might look at some Al Green stuff too. Lots of 800000008 there. Real light but cutting with the one-foot out.</p>

As always, use your ears.</p>
    1967 Hammond B3, 1952 Hammond C2 Chop, 1958 M3, 1963 L102, 1967 Leslie 221, 1968 145, PR40, 1982 Wurlitzer 200A

Thanks! I suspected the one-drawbar sound was being used a lot. I forgot about the*<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Tahoma; ">800000008, I need to try that one. I am also looking for a good sound to do glissandos that don't sound earth-shattering - again, not too bottom-heavy but haven't had much luck with that. The organist with Solomon Burke on the "Don't give up on me" album does a lot of those...</span>

I give you squabble...</p>

800008888 Leslie fast, a scoch of reverb. Great for riding a chord for texture to tie a flat mix together.
    </p>

</p>

786316786 third perc on/off(as needed) C2 no Leslie Typical Keith Emerson Classical/Rock fusion
    </p>

</p>

000008000 palm four or five keys at a time starting from the bass and working your way to the higher octave, rhythmically for a wah wah glissando effect. (think the opening bars of "Hush")</p>

</p>

707606808 For that walk of life sound. I think that one Andy posted it here, if memeory serves me well.
    </p>

</p>

I just rediscovered Thank You by Led Zepplin. What a beautiful song and easy to play on organ or piano. Any idea on a starting registration for that?</p>

I just used 888640000 no perc, C1 and a bit of reverb which sounds nice but is not quite right.</p>

Another that really Rocks (for a J. Lord type tone) with my overdrive unit is 888770000, C1, perc: soft,fast, second
    </p>
    http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
    1959 Hammond M3
    1961 Hammond A101
    VB3 with M Audio Axiom
    1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
    1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
    2011 Neo Ventilator
    Casio WK-7500
    Yamaha P50m Module
    Yamaha MM6
    Casio PX-5S

Another consideration is the organ itself. Before I recapped my organ I kept the bottom two drawbars at six for rock and had the upper drawbars out alot more because their filters had drifted off spec. Now it is recapped and recalibrated to the same values as a stock red cap organ the even the basic 888800000 sounds good. If you have a wax capper you might find you need to add more of the upper drawbars to get the sound that someone used on a 60's recording when their organ was new.</P>

Cheers</P>

Dave</P>

not that anyone should listen to me but here's my registration for 90% of what I do in a rock band,, 868808026 no percussion with C1 vibrato, this varys a bit if the room is too bassy I'll go from 6 to 8 with the last drawbar,, some songs I go 75880846 with vibrato on V1 this is actually a dramatic difference in sound ,,</P>

I got to admit I love people like the guy in the Wallflowers who get such nice sounds from their Hammond,, </P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I'm listening Harold-gonna try yours out tonight!</p>

Forgot on my last post on Zep's Thank You I used 0086064 for that flute- like sound on the upper manual varying the leslie from slow to fast.</p>

Bob
    </p>
    http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
    1959 Hammond M3
    1961 Hammond A101
    VB3 with M Audio Axiom
    1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
    1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
    2011 Neo Ventilator
    Casio WK-7500
    Yamaha P50m Module
    Yamaha MM6
    Casio PX-5S