Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leslie 31H Tallboy

Leslie 31H Tallboy

hi folks, well I found me a tallboy for my Hammond AV, its hooked up and working correctly so far:

Some interesting things on it compared to my 147 Leslie:

The bottom bass rotor always spins (or is always off)..there is a switch on the cabinet itself that turns on/off the bottom rotor.

My Hammond A is wired up to accept a 122 so it works just fine with the Tallboy 31H (so far as I know?)

I'm planning on daisy chaining the DR20 I have to the Tallboy as well but the 31H's back panel explains that I need something called a 'Leslie Type 2 Adapter'. Does anyone know what this adapter is? is it something you just plug in? it is supposed to handle the tremolo voltage so that the Tallboy 31H will spin correctly when set from the A's Leslie control. Presently if I plug in the DR20 to the Tallboy the Leslie is in "fast" speed all of the time..I guess the adapter would fix this?

The 31H does not spin slow, it has two settings: the treble horn either spins or it does not..no slow speed....as noted earlier the bass drum rotates all of the time or does not...but that is set from the Tallboy speaker via a switch on the side.

Some initial thoughts: Bass out the wazooo! wow! I think it would probalby be nice to have it similar to a 122/147 where it spins at two speeds intead of just spinning or not spinning (treble horn)...but it does sound great.

I have it hooked up to the A for now but eventually this tallboy will go with the Aeolian Hammond BA organ whenever grinder gets around to rebuilding it

Has anyone in here ever converted a tallboy to spin at two speeds? curious about that modification..I really do like my 147 at two speeds...I'll get some recordings up of the tallboy tomorrow at some point between Turkey etc.

Re: Leslie 31H Tallboy

[quote user="NYCFarmboy"]

I have it hooked up to the A for now but eventually this tallboy will go with the Aeolian Hammond BA organ whenever grinder gets around to rebuilding it

[/quote]</p>

*</p>

Patience is a virtue, John. []</p>

**</p>
    • ~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ • ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~ •

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Although I’ve never had experience in modifying Leslie speed conversion there are possibilities. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><o></o></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">The 31H is a single speed Leslie (fast or off) so modifications would be required to add a slow speed. Short of replacing the single motor with a two speed motor stack, an alternative suggestion would be an electronic speed control such as:<FONT color=#800080>http://sublinity.com/shopping.jsp?p=140</FONT>. <o></o></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">There are other brands as well, Hamptone comes to mind.<o></o></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><o></o></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">I found your NYC Farmboy site interesting, quite a collection of organs in it!<o></o></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN><o></o></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Keith<o></o></SPAN></P>
    Hammond 340212 Elegante

Sweet. That happens to be my favorite Leslie. I hope I find one soon, the RT-2 would sound great with a 31H.

thanks all, Keith, thanks for that tip on the Carribean Controls 2-Speed Conversion Unit! I'm definately going to check that out!

Thanksgiving day recording on the Tallboy.....

http://www.nycfarmboy.com/a/tallboymaria.html

You can really hear that the Tallboy is unforgiving on extraneous tone noises from the AV.

Very little, if any filtering Grinder says.

Well I spent 4 hours "adjusting" the tallboy yesterday evening....

some interesting quirks:

Low C and Middle C REALLY are amazingly powerful...I asked Grinder and he says its Harmonic something..where the speaker was built to be especially powerful for that note. It it amazing.

That recording doesn't do that tallboy justice, I will redo with a better mixer at somepoint.

Another adjustment that didn't work so hot.... the tallboy vibrates/rattles on certain notes/note combinations.

I thought a easy was of solving this would be by placing felt "stickies" on the cabinet so that the back panels would not "clatter" on certain notes.

Mistake!
    That worked for the rattles but also wiped out the bass responce...doh!!!!!! I should have known of course that the cabinet is designed to work like a soundboard and putting the felt there would dampen things,...and boy did it!.

No harm done, I was able to just remove the stickie felts and it went back to a normal bass response but with still a rattle on occasion.

update: I'm still working on micrphone settings but thought I'd share a nearly identical recording of Silent Night recorded first on the Hammond A with a 31H Tallboy, and then again with the same exact registration on the Hammond CV with a 147.

http://www.nycfarmboy.com/147tallboy.html

I have the two organs side by side and there are lots of distortion issues as the mic on one side of the room is sitting atop the CV so it rattles when I'm playing on the Cv.......on both recordings, the first verse is in slow/chorale and the 2nd in fast/leslie....on the A the first verse highlights that the bass rotor is always spinning and you only hear the treble horn start rotating on the 2nd verse..... on the CV, both bass and treble are spinning slowly at first.

<div><br class="webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>In my opinion, the CV/147 is sounding sweeter than the AV/31H. Unless you spiked the punch. []</div><div>*</div><div>*</div><div>*</div>
    • ~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ • ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~ •

nah no spiking, same exact digital postwork for each recording

That's really interesting to hear them side by side, same tune and registration. The 147 is a little hootier, the 31H a little more whistley. They both sound great. Who needs one Leslie to satisfy all your soul's desires when you have two to split the duty!

Farmboy,</P>

I have installed a couple of Carribean two speed units all on 51/47 type amps. I absolutly love them. This device should make your lower rotor two speed as well with a little crative rewiring. It is neccessary to rewire some amps slighly so you have a hot AC socket to power the unit. It gets its brains from the switched AC (fast) socket. You also have to remove the brake wire from the relay in the Leslie amp. I just take it out entirely disconnecting it from the power supply and the relay.</P>

I'm really not sure how this all adapts to your 31H but I think it is all very possible. Shoot an email to Vintage Speakeasy, they are very good technically. I could fax you the installation instructions if you want to take a look.</P>

Everything I've ever heard about the 31H is that it is all about huge bass response. I guess that's true from what you say. An interesting side note: My 251 (read 51c with carrabean unit) has a volume spike in the bass at the "C" notes too. It does this whether connected to the Conn 713 or the Hammond RT3. It is more pronounced when hooked up to the Conn.</P>

Best,</P>

Rich</P>