Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roland Atelier Organ Advice

Re: Roland Atelier Organ Advice

[quote user="Mark Pratt"]

Hey Andy,</P>

Can you provide us with a timeline on Roland Atelier organs for about the last 10-15 years?</P>

[/quote]</P>

G'Day Mark,</P>

I'll add my two bob's worth - As at Feb. 2000 the Roland Atelier range was AT20R, AT30R, AT60R, AT80R and AT90R. Sorry can't give you retail pricing at the time as the market here in Oz was all but stuffed, and no-one bothered to collate that information. However for what its worth there is a 30R for sale in my seaside town @ $A4500, and at that I think as we say in Oz, "he's dreaming"! Hope this helps.</P>

Cheers,</P>

Ian</P>

Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
    Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540
    Hammond T524 & Leslie 710
    Gulbransen Theatrum & Leslie 700
    Yamaha EL90T

Hi Andy,</P>

Great suggestion except for my home layout. The audio and video stuff is in my family room which I call my home theater. The Organ will be placed in my living room. </P>

To keep peace in the family (mainly mine) I have to keep them separate.</P>

If I read the specs correctly the AT-80 has 100W more audio output than the AT-60 and it is only about 40 lbs heavier. </P>

Thank you again for all your advice.</P>

Hal</P>

I am curious as to when Roland started selling the Atelier's. Andy gave us a great run down of the evolution of them but no dates.</P>

I checked the Roland website but couldn't find the info.</P>

Thanks in advance for your help.</P>

Hal</P>

1994 seems to be when it started, Hal. At least that's the first Roland Atelier review that appeared in Keyboard Player in September that year - the AT70 flagship.</P>

This comes from Sound on Sound Magazine's free on-line archive, so it's to them!</P>

...founder Ikutaro Kakehashi admits that he views the organ as the "most complete musical instrument". Despite this, or maybe because of it, the first of Roland's home organs, the Atelier AT70, was a strange hybrid of ideas. For example, its lower manual was 76-notes wide, was velocity-sensitive, and responded to a piano-style damper pedal. Unlike traditional organs, the Atelier also offered many of the rhythm and accompaniment features found on Roland's E-series accompaniment keyboards, and it even accepted Roland's existing Style cards. In addition, it included a 40,000-note sequencer. However, it didn't incorporate some expected organ facilities such as drawbars, and its sound-editing capabilities were decidedly limited. Nonetheless, there was no mistaking that the complete package was a large home organ, and it certainly packed a punch: a 240W punch, to be precise.</P>
    <DIV class=boxtext>The AT70 (which cost a hair under 10,000) and its more affordable little brother the AT50 may not have been the most successful of Roland's instruments, but they were to spawn a dynasty that would become highly respected in its field. The initial range was fleshed out by the AT30 and the huge AT90 in 1996, and then the AT80 in 1997. There were no fewer than four new models in 1999 (the AT20R, AT60R, AT80R, and AT90R) followed by the introduction of the current range two years later. There are now seven of these: the AT10S, AT20S, AT60S, AT80S and the mighty 256-voice AT90S models that appeared in 2001; plus the AT15 and the baby of the range, the single-manual AT5 launched the following year.</DIV>
    <DIV class=boxtext></DIV>
    <DIV class=boxtext>Andy</DIV>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Thanks so much Andy. </P>

My new (to me) AT-80S will be here tomorrow. I will try to post a Pic of it on a new thread tomorrow.</P>

I am so excited, that why I am trying to learn about the heritage of the Roland's.</P>

I even found my box with my sheet music from the seventies. I kept them because I knew I would get an organ again. </P>

I joined the Lowery forum on yahoo just to get more info.They don't seem to mind members with non-Lowery organs. I couldn't find an active Roland forum.</P>

I hope I won't bore the forum with my excitement. Please humor me for the next couple of days.</P>

Hal</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Never a problem, Hal.</P>

I'm glad you joined the Lowrey group. You'll find me there, same name, and we're a pretty friendly bunch! Unlike some groups, posts aren't deleted if they aren't within strictrules eg. 'if it's not a tonewheel Hammond, don't talk about it!' We're happy to talk about any organs and, like you and me, we're not all Lowrey owners. Most of us can't afford a new one anyway! [:O]</P>

Have a ball with the 80S!</P>

Andy</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Atelier At350C = AT??? console model

Andy:

I see an interesting Roland AT350C for sale on eBay -- to what regular, console, model would you say this one is more alike, AT300 or At500? The AT350C doesn't have a touch screen, so in that sense is more like the AT300, but I wonder about the voices, rhythms, and other features?

By the way, the AT350C is probably the cheapest organ available in the US right now (US$5,500 or so new), although it doesn't have pedals, a cabinet, nor a sound system. (It's designed as a band instrument.)

Thanks!

Ray
    Miami FL

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Never a problem, Hal.</P>

I'm glad you joined the Lowrey group. You'll find me there, same name, and we're a pretty friendly bunch! Unlike some groups, posts aren't deleted if they aren't within strictrules eg. 'if it's not a tonewheel Hammond, don't talk about it!' We're happy to talk about any organs and, like you and me, we're not all Lowrey owners. Most of us can't afford a new one anyway! [:O]</P>

Have a ball with the 80S!</P>

Andy</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Works like an AT300, sounds bigger than it is, with better rhythms. Sound quality is just as good as the biggest Rolands, you just don't have so much to choose from, or so many sound divisions.

No good as a live play instrument, ie one where you can quickly change sounds on the fly, because just too much is hidden in menus. But if you have the time to programme the preset pistons, it's very capable! In fact, if you have access to a bigger Roland, set everything up on the big one, and play those settings on the little one. You'll have more sounds and more divisions (though of course you can't access or control them) but you do have to watch the polyphony.

Saw one of Roland UK's guys doing this last night, but he was only using the AT100!

Hi Ray.
    I had the chance to play the 350 for 3 days back in February. Andy is right: if you like live playing and changing voices as you play, you will not like this model. If you are able to set up your presets, it is OK. I compared the 350 to the Roland BK-7m with 2 keyboards and pedals. The sound quality is there, but smooth playing on the fly, no way.
    AT55

HISTORY: Lowrey Celebration C-500, GX-225; Wersi EX-10 Expander; Roland RA-90 Expander; Roland AT-80, AT-80 SL; Lowrey Prestige; Roland AT-800AE
    CURRENT: Roland BK-7m; Roland RM-700; BK-7m Partner for iPad; Roland AT-900C w/ATUP-EX

Mark Sutin