Thread: YAMAHA FX-1's Interesting "6 2/5' " Organ drawbar. EX42's drawbar sounds better?

YAMAHA FX-1's Interesting "6 2/5' " Organ drawbar. EX42's drawbar sounds better?

It's Interesting, that FX1 has a 6 2/5 feet drawbar for its organ sound.
    (refer to my photo)

Most big organ drawbars have 9 drawbars setting, Is there any other organs having different setting of harmonics series? more than 10?

And I am curious, this kind of drawbar combination is from Hammond style, right?

if drawbar has the 5th and 7th harmonics drawbars, We can create more sounds, right?

The other question is EX42's Synth system is not the EX1 or say, E-70 generation's "PAS System"

But to my ears, EX42's sounds more punch and powerful or harder.

D80/E30/E50/E70/EX1 PAS system's organ sounds softer.

Comparing to most USA or Euro Organ brands,
    Even Kawai's, I love their organ sounds better.

But YAMAHA sold so many organs at that time....(Maybe cause of it's Strategies or education, contests...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My favorite E.organ are: GX-1, FX-20, D-85.
    I have EX1, DK40B, C605
    And lots of synth,
    YAMAHA's Synth Endorser

1 members found this post helpful.
    Wersi organs have often sported two additional drawbars — 4/5ths and 2/3rds. Plus a whole set of percussive drawbars on some of their models.

To be honest, a 6 2/5' drawbar isn't that much use. I can only think of one other organ that had one - the Roland VK9(? a long time ago!) Great if you want to make chimes or some synthy sounds but that's it.

The higher drawbars on the Wersis gave some extra timbres and more high end, but I think those mixture drawbars on the H and X series Hammonds were probably the most distinctive and useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Fred,

The EX-42 does not actually have a "synth" system. It is all analog organ tone generation technology ( and a lot of it ! ), so I don't think one can classify it as a synthesizer in the normal way one thinks of them.

The PASS organs can be sorta called synths because some of the voices are made from the PASS technology. The flute voices on those are still analog technology like the EX-42, I'm pretty sure. It is the reeds and strings and the custom voices that use the PASS tech. PASS is Pulse Analog Synthesis System. It is microprocessor control of analog sound generation if I am recalling correctly. So you can consider the EX-1 to be a really large multi timbral polyphonic analog synth. Same for the GX-1 of course.

And then the FX-1 is completely digital, using the same FM synthesis that was in the DX-7. Totally different technology and sounds from the earlier models. The flute "drawbar" section on the FX-1 is not really playable on the fly, like actual drawbar organs are. You have to set what you like on the little switches, and memorize that to a memory preset location.
    I'm fairly certain that I don't have any combinations set on mine that use the 6&2/5' sound at all, as it does not seem too useful to me. But it may be for others.

I always have thought that the PASS organs were not very pleasant sounding when compared to an EX-42. Even when they were new I thought that. They have some uses as synth sounding instruments I suppose, but as a solo entertainer style organ, I'll take an EX-42 over an EX-1 any day. The FX-1 is great for that use as well, but as you say, there is nothing like the sound of an EX-42 in full cry. The original is still the best to my ears.

I think Hammond did make a few models of organs that had additional drawbars. I think they were intended for church / classical use. I'm not sure what models they were, or what pitches the extra ones were. One of the Hammond gurus here will know.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Thanks for all you guys' info!

Yea, So I really like the fullness and huge sound of EX42, I had a DK40 now, even I think better than EX1's flute drawbar.

Although EX1 also has huge speakers, but It's really different.

The flute and other drawbars of EX42, just like the pipe organ, could make wonderful combination of sound,

Really hope someone could make a VSTi to simulates that king of home organs, not just flute(sine like)drawbar.

I only know Nash and Rawgan do such thing...

Thanks Andy, I could imagine the monster Kawai T-50
    My favorite E.organ are: GX-1, FX-20, D-85.
    I have EX1, DK40B, C605
    And lots of synth,
    YAMAHA's Synth Endorser