Thread: Best way to remove rusty broken reed screws, any tips?

Best way to remove rusty broken reed screws, any tips?

Hello!

I'm restoring an Alexandre Père et Fils from 1852 and as expected many of the screws that are used for the reeds are super rusty. When I carefully removed them some of them broke and are now stuck in the wood. As you might now, these areas are rather thin and delicate, so I just wonder if any of you have some tips how to remove the broken pieces of screws creating as little damage as possible? I guess this is a common issue with these instruments..

Thanks in advance!

I use a couple of #1 or 2 round-head wood screws at the end where the screws broke, on both edges/sides of the reed, just avoid it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Liben View Post
    Hello!

I'm restoring an Alexandre Père et Fils from 1852 and as expected many of the screws that are used for the reeds are super rusty. When I carefully removed them some of them broke and are now stuck in the wood. As you might now, these areas are rather thin and delicate, so I just wonder if any of you have some tips how to remove the broken pieces of screws creating as little damage as possible? I guess this is a common issue with these instruments..

Thanks in advance!
    If some of the screw shaft is exposed clear of the wood you may be able to grab it with needle nose vice grips.

If none of the shaft is exposed there's a device called a screw extractor (Available at your local hardware store). It works by drilling into the screw shaft in reverse direction (left) from screw insertion (right). It screws into the old screw shaft to a stop which then, hopefully, turns the old screw to the left also. For the screw extractors to work there must be enough of the shaft left to drill into. Doesn't't work so well on very small screws.

Hope this works for you.
    Sam

Allen ADC4000, 1910 Chickering QuarterGrand
    Past---Galanti Praeludium II, Yamaha Clavinova, Hammond A102, W.W. Putnam Reed Organ