Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharps or Flats?

Sharps or Flats?

Many musicians have a preference for one or the other. Which do you prefer?
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 3 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DKC / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Re: Sharps or Flats?

I don't transpose very much, I will usually play things inthe key they are written in, but when I do transpose, I will use whatever gets me to the key I want with fewer symbols in the key signature.

I never transpose. It's cheating. </P>

I prefer to transpose 5 flats into 2 sharps and 5 sharps into 2 flats. I hope that I said that correctly; if not, I think you know what I mean.</P>

To me, this is not really transposing; it is cheating to make it easier to read.</P>

[:$]</P>

Given the choice I'll play in flats (will play E in E flat and A in A flat), but I won't read D as D flat. Somebody told me once that this is because I played (poorly) in a brass band for a while, and brass players find it psychologically easier to play flats. No idea if that's true or not.

[quote user="SimonS"]Given the choice I'll play in flats (will play E in E flat and A in A flat), but I won't read D as D flat. Somebody told me once that this is because I played (poorly) in a brass band for a while, and brass players find it psychologically easier to play flats. No idea if that's true or not.
    [/quote]</p>

I'm with you on this one Simon. Give me flats over sharps anytime.</p>

Of course, Aunt Minnie is the Queen of Flats, and she always plays anything in flats if it has over 1 sharp. I don't know where that comes from, but I know all the old lady country church piano players that I grew up around did that, as I did too for a while.</P>

Poor Yvonna really can't get anything right if it uses the black keys at all. Good thing she has the new Allen now with the transposer so she can always play in C.</P>

Aunt Minnie has her work cut out for her when the song leader throws them one in the key of A, which Minnie must play in A-flat. She has to hand signal Yvonna to put the transposer on -4. How they manage to do that all the time and not get mixed up I'll never know.</P>

Aunt Minnie was a math prodigy in her younger years. She went through all eight grades in 5 years, mostly because she could do the 8th grade math when she was about 7 years old. Guess that helps her now with the transposing.</P>

John</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 ........ at last!
    Home: Allen MADC-420 ...........finally!
    Shop: More organs than I can count.... some working, many not!
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Learn the circle of fifths by heart, and transposing should never be a problem. I've never had a transposer, so I can't vouch for how much "easier" it would make things. How does a transposer work on a pipe organ? *If you were to, say, transpose up to C# from C, do you loose your low C pedal (which would in theory become the B below it) in the process? Or would it compensate by bringing an octave above down?*</p>

*</p>

*</p>
    ~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~

Yes, a transposer on a pipe organ will run out of pipes on the extreme ends. One could wire the transposer to pick up from the octave at the ends if one wanted to do so. I never played a pipe organ with a transposer, so I do not know what is more the norm.

well, I can tell you the Allen I play has a transposer, which I never use, unless I'm just playing around, to amuse myself. I took a year of music theory, I am a big-time multi instrumentalist, none of my other instruments come with transposers, so I figure, why should I use the transposer on the Allen, other than to amuse myself.[] I mean, not to desparage the transposer, because as I understand it, it can be a quite useful device, but, when was the last time you saw a violin, viola, banjo or acoustic pianoequipped with a transposer? Never. That's what I thought, I learned to transpose, and am glad for it.