Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Estey Organ Co doesn’t seem to work when pumping.

Hello, Welcome to this crazy world of the Pump Organ. Reading the posts I recommend the Ultrasonic Cleaner for sure. In the States there is a TINY Vacuum that you can get from a company called Micro Mark it is for fine cleaning ship models and trains. This is about as large as I would go to do the cleaning. I am learning like you but on a D.W. Karn from 1909.
    https://www.micromark.com/Miniature-Vacuum-Kit
    This is the unit it is $9.95 USD

I have been looking at different organ dating on line. I’m guessing it was made around 1912 approximately.

Thanks Irpman, Just so happens My wife works in a Lab and has found a ultra sonic cleaner at work. Should she use Just water or a bit of detergent or general jewellery cleaner. The 1st lot of reeds are pretty tarnished and looks like rats have been living in it at some stage. It will take a week or so to get the reeds all clean as I am doing an octave at a time. I am just going to try and clean and dust out webs today.
    Just found this lone wire on the right hand side of organ. Is it just supposed to hang there and do nothing or should there be a home for the end.(the thin wire with 90 degree bend. Thanks again Christojo
    4DF33231-D736-4D6F-9650-BCFC8C1B2088.jpg
    Last edited by Christojo; 03-13-2018 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Added photo

I think that's a control rod for the swell shutters. It should go the knee lever to the right above the pedals. It rotates upward to lift the shutter and the one in the back. These things are full of ingenious low tech. They went to all sorts of lengths to avoid other companies patents.
    -- I'm Lamar - 1999 Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) -- Starting Soon - Allen TC4 Project
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Yes Silken Path, it is attached to the bigger shudder wire but doesn’t seem to do anything.
    2C924003-DCD4-49B4-AF5C-6298349E1975.jpg
    0A16DCD9-8B34-4F4A-8408-731FEF04D6DF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Christojo View Post
    Hi again, Thanks for the reply. I would like to fix this old girl up. I pulled the right side end stop out(treble coupled) and pumped. No sound. I than pulled 2nd from right(Celeste 8) and put 1st back in. we had noise from most notes right hand side from middle. A couple of keys didn’t work and had to pump hard. I than pulled 3rd stop from right out (Drapason 8ft) about 2 thirds of the keys worked when pumped. Put it back in and pulled the 4th stop from right (Dolce 8ft) No sound. Put stop back in and tried 5th from right (forte) no sound. Put it in and tried 6th from right (Vox bumana) no sound. 7th from right (I forte) no sound. 8th from right (Principle 8) no sound. 9th from right (Viola Dolce 4) most keys from left hand side work when pumping hard. 10th from right (Flute 4) most keys on left side work when pumped. 11th from right (Bass coupler) no noise when pumped. I hope I spelled the stops right���� So 4 stops had noise. So I’m guessing it’s going to be a bit of a challenge. Thanks again. Silconpath
    Some of the stops should make sounds, some only alter sounds from other stops, these are called mechanical stops.
    Stops with no sounds of their own are Forte, Coupler, Vox Humana.
    All of the stops will only affect half of the keyboard;all the stops are divided bass and treble. The ones on the lower half of the keyboard work there and same for the treble side. Drawing a treble stop will not give you any sounds in the bass.
    The reason that notes are dropping as you go up and down the keyboard is simply this: the reeds need cleaning; they are clogged with debris, and it does not take much.
    The reeds need to be carefully withdrawn and freed from the dirt and debris. How far you want to go in cleaning depends on how committed you are to having a nice-sounding instrument. Some people lack a musical ear and what sounds awful to my ear sounds okay to theirs.
    A really thorough cleaning helps get the tuning closer to what a musical instrument should be.

Casey

Thanks Casey, I am in the process of cleaning all reeds. The keys that were not working had bits of chewed up felt and small insect eggs and general crud on them. I tested the keys that didn’t work after cleaning and all keys make sound now. After I have properly cleaned the reeds, I am feeling that I might have to tackle the bellows as you have to pump hard to get the notes out. I have noticed that one of the bellows is letting air out of one of the seams as you can feel it when you put your hand over it. My next question is what would be the best product or glue to repair bellow as I could do this repair without pulling to much apart.
    image.jpg
    Thanks in advance for all the help.
    Last edited by Christojo; 03-14-2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: To thank all for help

1 members found this post helpful.
    Mate I would use Jewelry cleaner since it is design not to leave any thing behind on the part. I use that on Model Railroad pieces from a brass engine and it works great.
    Cheers
    George P
    Leatherique USA

About your rear swell actuator: is it under the dowel so that is can lift it when it needs to? From the pic it looks like it has made its way above where it needs to be.
    Casey

Thanks Casey, If you look at the next 2 photos, the little wire is attached to the main thicker rod at the back, it is imbedded. My rough nut drawing in red, the thick bit is the rod for the right side knee shudder and the little wire comes forward than comes to a 90 degree bend and fits into nothing. It also has a point on it. It moves to the right and up but I can’t see a spot any where for it.
    5FBE75C5-839E-441A-B63A-A03051DE2542.jpg
    8BB20F49-54E3-4550-A842-7783E01698A5.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast