Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Organ or Piano? (Musical example attached)

Quote Originally Posted by regeron View Post
    Hi Steve,

Where did you get the music for the thumbnail that you included in the first post? When I enlarge it, the small print is blurry, but it seems to indicate whether they had written the keyboard part for either piano or organ right at the beginning of that part. (Or does it just say "Accomp"?) It looks to be more of a piano part. If you play it on the organ, use the first few measures as an example, and continue to hold the first, lowest note for the duration of the measure, or until the harmony changes.
    I scanned in the first two pages of the music I have - that's where the attached picture comes from. I don't scan things often from my computer - perhaps I didn't select a high enough resolution. The arranger is one Benjamin Harlan.

I appreciate knowing that the original was/is SATB and will now go about looking at the links people here have kindly provided and educate myself a little about this piece. I'm sure knowing how it sounds as SATB unaccompanied will enable me to make a better informed decision as to how to accompany it in this version, a choice that isn't mine to make.

FWIW, at the top of the first page - this may have gotten cut off in my scan - it says

For 2-Part* or SAB, accompanied**

and at the bottom

*Please note: For a two-part arrangement, omit the alto line. Any combination of voices may sing the soprano line (S, SA or ST) and any combination of voices may sing the men's line (B, TB or AB).

**ChoirTrax CD available (HL08742622)
    Instrumental Pak including score and parts for chamber orchestra available (HL08742621)

Quote Originally Posted by Peterboroughdiapason View Post
    Ugh! What a disgusting travesty of Stainer that is. Nothing like the original - must be considered a completely different piece. Not the same notes, not the same mood and with that silly and inappropriate accompaniment! As far as I'm concerned, this should be avoided at all costs and I would refuse to have anything to do with it.
    Having just watched and listened to one of the YouTube links provided to the original, I agree completely. I do quite a bit of arranging (not a short story, and therefore for another time) and this falls into that unhappy place between arranging and an original composition. The original is lovely, at least to these ears who haven't heard it before just now.

As for the accompaniment, it's for piano with sustaining pedal from the look of it. Could be played perfectly well on the organ with held pedal notes.
    I will spend more time with it today and make that decision.

What I would really like to do is play the SATB original on the organ and have the choir sing the original SA parts and create a men's part.

The "Classic" edition is the original Novello one - you can see it here: http://hz.imslp.info/files/imglnks/u...ed_Stainer.pdf
    I've printed this out, and will enter it in Sibelius on my computer for future.

Unaccompanied, of course, as the copy says. There is a keyboard reduction for rehearsal use only. Here's a link to my favourite performance - so expressive, though some might feel it overdone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzk5K-p6ScM
    A lovely, heart-felt performance.

Why didn't they write a new piece rather than bastardizing Stainer's?
    That's a very good question.

-S-

One of the good things that comes of this kind of arranging is that those choirs and churches who would NEVER consider doing the original could be introduced to it via this arrangement. One can hope that at least some of them would be so captured by it's beauty that someone would explore a bit further and bring back the original. I realize that that would only happen in a very few cases, but at least it's a small step. Or perhaps some young musician will be inspired to rise above the general musical level of that environment.

When I was a youth, I had a book of hymn arrangements by a well-known, American evangelical pianist. I later realized that the best parts of his arrangements were stolen from classical piano concertos and sonatas. In between these bits, he inserted very simple (banal?) arrangements of favorite gospel hymns. He never once acknowledged who had written the good parts - since those composers were long dead, the music wasn't under copyright. Once I found that out, I burned the book. In it's place, I bought the real piano repertoire and have never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Freides View Post

I've printed this out, and will enter it in Sibelius on my computer for future.

-S-
    There are a couple of Sibelius versions on CPDL so you could download one and tweak it as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterboroughdiapason View Post
    There are a couple of Sibelius versions on CPDL so you could download one and tweak it as you like.
    Very good to know - I will have a look.

Thanks.

-S-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12